Skip to main content

Come Together Over Me



Knock, Knock. (Who’s there?) Interrupting Cow. (Interrupting Cow…) Moo!

Ok, I’ve got another one. Knock, knock. (Who’s there?) Interrupting Holy Spirit. (Interrupting Holy Sp…) I love you, but guess what? I love them, too!

I know that sounds weird, but that’s what’s going on in our reading from Acts. Peter has traveled North of Jerusalem. He’s seen what the Holy Spirit can do in Samaria. He’s even called a woman back from death’s door by the power of faith in Jesus, and he’s had this vision while praying on a roof.

Praying on a roof is almost as weird to you and me as receiving visions, but the roof was actually designed to be a part of the house that you might go to for solitude. Anyway, he had this vision of a sheet being lowered with all kinds of animals, and he heard God tell him to “kill and eat” for what God “has made clean, no one is to say it is unclean.”

That happened three times. Three is an important number. It demonstrates completeness and certainty. Once may have been chance. Twice may be have been just plain lucky, but three times? Such a thing is ordained by God.

Just like the three days of Jesus’ death – and Peter’s three denials of Christ in one night – this is our third encounter with the Holy Spirit “falling upon” or conspiring to include those outside the covenant of God’s chosen people. First were the Samaritans. Next was the Eunuch, and now Peter is giving an explanation of Jesus as the Jewish messiah to a nice booster club of God Fearers.

At least, I imagine that’s what it felt like to him. Here he was in the home of a wealthy Centurion who had a good reputation of being nice to the Jews in his community. While Peter certainly would have wanted to set him straight in his understanding of Jesus, I imagine he felt a bit like I do when I’m called to pray, pro forma, for a graduation or other secular event.  I am certainly thankful for the chance to reach out to new groups of people, but there are times when I feel a bit like the garnish on the plate.

Anyway, Peter made sure to proclaim Jesus as the one that God had worked through, and the one through whom God would judge the living and the dead. He didn’t get into substitutionary atonement. He simply honored Jesus as the revelation of God. And when the Holy Spirit came upon them as proof that they believed, he said, “Who can deny them to be baptized?”

It must have been terrifying for him. Including outsiders was not only risky for the community of faith, it was risky for him. Yet, his whole speech began with, “I can see that God shows no partiality.” How can you look at someone and say that you know God loves them and then turn around and say that they are excluded from the community of people that God loves?

Of course, the funny thing about that is that the church has been doing that almost as long as there has been a church. Whether it was slave galleys in the southern church, or paid family pew boxes in the colonial church, or the current struggle over when and how to acknowledge God’s love of those in the LGBTQ+ community, we just can’t help but circle our wagons when it comes to our communities of faith.

Yet for those that do not close themselves off, there is a certain attractiveness that invites the question of how deep and how wide the love of Jesus might abide. While this congregation has not made official statements of inclusion in the way of a “More Light” congregation – those are a certain affiliation of PC(USA) churches that are open and affirming of LGBTQ+ – we have had the active participation of members and staff and their partners who are gay for decades.

I don’t want to call names or make anyone a poster child, but there are ministry opportunities in almost every facet of this congregation that have been impacted by members of the LGBTQ+ community. In fact, one of my first pastoral interactions in this church was from a closeted individual – who later came out to some in his life but not to all – who met with me and said, “I’m gay. No one knows, and I don’t want them to know. What I want to know from you is if you will love me or condemn me. Because if you will not love me, then I won’t bother coming.” I told him that of course I would love him, and he remained faithful until he moved away.

I tell you this because I know that even in this beloved community there are a variety of views on the subject. I tell you this because even as we speak there are other congregations and denominations tearing themselves apart over the issue of inclusion, acceptance, and love, and I do not want that to be us.

For we are called to something greater. Truly, all who follow Christ are called to something greater. We are called to abide in God’s love. We are called to be the church of Jesus Christ. That’s even more than what Ella Fitzgerald called a Sunday kinda’ love. Abiding in God’s love is more than coming to church like it’s a spa day for your soul.

Abiding in God’s love is nothing short of recognizing that God’s active presence is the air we breathe. It is the blood coursing through our veins! It is the very electrical impulse that fires from synapse to synapse in these beautiful, organic expressions of the Creator that look like you and me and act like Jesus every now and again.

You see, Jesus told his disciples that the love of God for him was the same as Jesus’ love for them, and that it would be the same from them if they were his friends. It wasn’t a condition or a transaction. Jesus wasn’t a child telling them to play with the blocks the way he wanted to play with them or else he would take his blocks and they would not have any.

No, my friends. Jesus was describing what they (and we) will put into action when we follow the commands of Jesus. Just what are these commands? Was Jesus prescribing a doctrine? No. He was telling them that there are certain things they will do, if they truly live in the love of God that he has revealed.

Essentially he wanted them to know that they could believe that he had revealed God’s love to them. He wanted them to know that they could trust him and his authority over sin and death, and because of that they could expect a new quality of life in this life and in the one to come. Not only that, but they were chosen by him to bear fruit in works of love and service to others.

Now, here’s the real kicker. These claims about love are sandwiched right between Jesus telling them of his betrayal (and telling Judas to get on with it), and his prediction of Peter’s denial. His love includes the one who leaves and the one who denies. His love opens us to a new understanding of God’s willingness to suffer with us and for us, so that we will know of God’s presence that has always been with us.

His love draws us to this table, where we taste and see the bread of heaven come down and the fruit of the vine in mercy given. This is the place that our eyes become open to the depth of love we have received, so that we can understand what we have withheld and we can recognize the opportunity to love as we have been loved.

That’s much easier to say than to do, but thanks be to God that we’ve been given each other to work it out and make it real before attempting to love those that might hurt us. That is always the risk of loving. Some will betray. Some will deny. Even worse, some will accept, and then we have to go through the hard work of being transformed.

That’s the beautiful and terrible thing about loving. It changes you, over and over and over, until as the old song says, “To turn, turn will be our delight; Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.”

In the end the Spirit of God will testify in and through you and me to what is true. In the meantime, let us continue to open ourselves to the active presence of God both here and now and there and then. Let us bear fruit in acts of love and kindness, because God loves us, and God loves them, too. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they