Skip to main content

Holy Communion

Dad's home now. He's been diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma, an aggressive form of cancer originating in the bone marrow. He's already begun chemo, and will continue for 6 months. Assuming it is in remission at that point there will be a bone marrow transplant. I spent the night with him last Thursday, his last night in the hospital so far.

During the early morning hours he came in and out of sleep. At times I sat watching him wishing there were words or questions to ask that might unlock the secrets of life as he knew them. I wondered about the pieces of his life I wil never know. Stories from childhood I never before cared to hear... a clear understanding of the nuances of buying and selling a house... the joys and sorrows of life choices that I have felt the reprocussions of but will never know about.

Friday morning they brought in his breakfast, and he shared it with me. I offered to go get my own, but he was not hungry enough to finnish it. We had been talking about life and faith, and as I look at his muffin I thought of the sacrament of communion. I must have stared too long because he cut it in half and gave it to me without even asking if I wanted it. Then he took two styrophome cups and told me to get some water for us, even though he had his big hospital jug already. So it was not a fruit of the vine, but it was a common cup. And the water of baptism that flows through and over us filled us that morning, of that I am sure.

Perhaps it was just a symbolic moment that touched emotional chords. Even so, God's presence was known in our union. Each in our way felt peace. For him it was the knowledge that no discretion of earlier days could challenge my love for him. For me it was the knowledge that God's power and providence runs deeper than the waters than seem to overtake us. In that moment we had enough peace to know that all will be well in God's great end. I believe that to be sacramental. Though I have a high apreciation for the sacraments and believe it crucial that they be administered in the rightly, coporately and in conjuction with scripture, I believe our communion was holy. I believe we experienced the presence of the living God in our unspoken liturgy, and I believe all the heavens rejoiced with us.

But then again, maybe it was just a muffin. It was a pretty good muffin for hospital food. Nah, could't of been just a muffin. Maybe it was more like... manah? Either way, may God be praised. And that is the good news. My dad and I can honestly say, "to God be the glory" even in the midst of this. I pray that we can remain as resolved. I pray that we will have some times of joy yet to share in the holiness of this time of suffering, amd I pray that my faith might be as strong as his.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they