Skip to main content

God is a White Man

So, in keeping with my previous post, I thought I would pay tribute to God's male attributes and say thank you to the guy who helped me plug a tire today.

My wife called from the gas station down the street. She had a flat. Our kids were in the car, and it was approaching nap time, a sabbath that if not respected can result in dire straights (not the band). I was just about to make my lunch, so I considered asking here to fill it with air and limp it the one mile home. Of course I knew better. The right thing to do was go put on a spare and take the tire to be plugged while she got the kids in for a nap.

As I got to the car and started working the jack I began to begrudge myself for not getting a jacket. I steeled my nerve and resolved to deal with the limitations of the tiny car jack and cold weather. A snow flake or two buzzed by to mock me.

That's when a red pick up with a ham radio sticker on the back of its diamond plate tool box pulled up. Out stepped a guy with a kind of Tye Pennington, clean but blue collar look stepped up. I'm thinkin', look buddy, there's damsel in distress here. I'm fine. He sized up the situation without hesitation or judgment and showed me an easier way to use the jack involving the portion of the handle I neglected to attach. Instantly my defensiveness melted with the knowledge that I had just lost all man cred.

I never got his name, but he instantly took over. He took the tire off and looked for a nail. Finding none he said, "If we had some water we could check it for a leak." I went to get a water bottle while he filled it with air. He had some soap that he added to the water bottle to make it easier to see the leak. Once located he plugged it and put it back on the car.

Again, I never got his name, but I got a little of his story. He was a mechanic who had been out of work for three months and was living with his brother. He was on his way to see someone else in another town when he happened by. He didn't even let me repay the 75 cents for the air. We shook hands before he left and I said, "I hope God blesses you the way you have blessed us." He replied, "Oh, God does. It's just not always the way I want it to be." I agreed, and he drove off, but not before surprising us with a blast from his air horn! I am ashamed to say that I don't even know the color of his eyes. I must not have looked in the eye very much.

Now sometimes I get a little cheesy or sappy, and the last thing I would want is to trivialize the gospel. But I can't help but be reminded of God's presence in ways big and small through this encounter. On a basic level it was a dispensation of grace, mercy, and providence to have a person I judged help me in such a fashion. But there is so much more of God's intimate character that I find here. God speaks to us in signals that not everyone receives (ham radio). God comes to us regardless of the cost or inconvenience God might incur. God does take over, when we allow God to. God enjoys our participation, even if we don't know which end of the jack is the handle. God has all the right "tools". God's actions are their own rewards. We can not repay God, and God does not want us to. When we realize how much the heaven's rejoice (air horn) when someone is saved, it fills our hearts with joy as well.

Call me cheesy. But today, I had an intimate encounter with the God of the universe through the simple actions of an average white man who is down on his luck. He gave out of his poverty, where I struggle to give out of my abundance. May become more like him, so that others may see God in me. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emails from Baton Rouge

Clint Mitchel, mentioned in the previous article, is an Associate Pastor in Baton Rouge. They have set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and are involved in providing assistance reuniting displaced families. I'll post an email here from a list serve that several of my friends from seminary are on. I'll post a few more as comments. Feel free to add your own comments about how your congregation or group is responding. Presently the congregation I serve is taking up a special offering. Some members are also taking in students who have been relocated to VA. Here's what Clint needs/is doing: Martha, Our church has set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and infants. We are working with people from all over on supplies. Right now, monetary donations are most helpful, partially because the needs are changing from day to day. Our church has set up a fund for Hurricane Relief efforts. To send a donation, please make a check out to University Presbyterian Ch...

Swim Lessons

So, here I sit, poolside @ the Y. My daughter's class is lined up on the side with feet in the pool. Each in turn are going to one end to swim the length of a lane. Their teacher is in the water with them. A lifeguard with a clipboard has silently joined to evaluate, and another is on the stand and ready to save. The class cheers one another on, or at least they did for the first three. Miraculously they began again when the weakest swimmer began.  My heart feels the pang of guilt when another parent cheers with me for my child (I was blogging during his). I can't help but reflect on how this is like the church.  Three lifeguards may seem like overkill, but is that not what we have received through Christ?  I like he idea that God is in it with us, evaluating our progress, and ready to save. We always need a God who is ready to save. Why else would confession be part of our regular spiritual walk? Then there's the church, called together and given purpose by God. W...

The Question

I saw this on a card at the beach while on a clergy retreat. This and Matthew 7:7-8 are the inspiration for the title of this blog. Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day. - Rainer Maria Rilke Letters to a Young Poet