Skip to main content

I.C.O.N.

So what is an Icon? Literally, it means an image. When we think of Icons we often think of people who are larger than life, people who symbolize movements or ideals like Bob Marley, Chez Guevara, or Martin Luther King Jr. These are people who's faces end up on t-shirts, and sometimes the image is used for things the person never intended. We like to do that kind of thing. We glamorize "idols" and love to lift up the ones who are truly weird but still successful. Why? I guess it's because it make us feel better about ourselves. No matter how good we are we know we can't be MLK or Gandhi, so isn't it good that some one else was. No matter how bad we are at least we aren't Jennifer.

Icons are also smaller than life. It is the term we use to describe the little images we click on to open a computer program. They move us from something small into something bigger. In the Christian tradition, Icons have been used in this same way for centuries. These Icons are pictures that are usually focused on the face of Jesus. The idea is that as you consider God's love for you, you begin to feel God's presence in your life. Icons are a window into heaven in the same way that a person's eyes can tell you a lot about what they are thinking and feeling.

When I was a teenager I heard someone say, "The eyes are the window of the soul." I immediately began wearing sun glasses anywhere and all the time. I even custom painted sunglasses with splatter painted designs to the point I could barely see out of some pairs. Brilliant. I was in a lot of pain because of my parent's divorce, and I did not want to let anyone in for fear of being hurt even more. It didn't happen all at once, but over time I came to realize that the only way out was to let others in. The one who showed me this through the examples of others was Jesus.

Everyone has their own reason for feeling awkward at times. If you don't think you do, then you are hiding from yourself under some pretty thick shades. But the good news is this, in 2 Corinthians 5:6-21, Paul reminds us that we can take off our shades and look directly into the Son. In fact we have to. In fact, when we do, we become the "Icon" that someone else needs. So take time to look others in their eyes. Take time to look Jesus in his eyes. Chances are, you'll find that you can see yourself more clearly when you do.

Take care, have fun, and be the person your best friend thinks that you are.

Rev. Zach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they