Skip to main content

When the wounded heal

I just finished watching the end of season episode for the show Parenthood. To make a long story short, the teenage daughter of a single mom ran away. There are tremendously intertwined relationships in this show, as there are in all families. The daughter ran away because had made some bad choices that included sleeping with her cousin's boyfriend. Yikes. Thing is, the family's problems (which were more connected to the grandparents) were all focused on the young girl. Add to that the culpability of the boy that was not acknowledged, and you have a kid who feels like running is the only option. What I found truly beautiful and Christlike is that when the girl was found, it was her cousin who ran to her first. Similar themes of confession and forgiveness followed and flowed through the family. Not all the problems were solved, but their divisions were turned into opportunities for greater strength.

Henri Nouwen wrote about the strength given us through following the pattern of Christ in his classic work, The Wounded Healer. Nouwen states that Christ has been wounded on on our behalf, and their is no greater power of redemption than that which comes from the one we have harmed. Likewise there is no greater opportunity to offer grace than by looking to the ones who have harmed us. Nouwen writes:
“The [person] who can articulate the movements of [their] inner life, who can give names to [their] varied experiences, need no longer be a victim [theirself], but is able slowly and consistently to remove the obstacles that prevent the spirit from entering. [They] are able to create space for Him whose heart is greater then [theirs], whose eyes see more than [theirs], and whose hands can heal more then [theirs].”
We live in a world that equates justice with retribution. What if we could see it another way? What if we could see our own suffering as a chance to partner with Christ in the redemption God is already bringing about?

Sure, there are egregious sins. There is evil in the world that must be restrained with force. Yet there is a call to be vulnerable that goes alongside it. There is a limit to how far we can go on restraining the monster without becoming one ourselves. Ultimately, I am all I have control over, and that control is always limited. The question is, will my control be limited by my reaction to others or by my response to being forgiven?

I know one thing. The most beautiful expression of love I have seen is when the wounded offer forgiveness to their offenders. This is what Christ has done for me. I pray that I can do the same for others.

Shalom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they