Skip to main content

Thank You for Stealing My Bike

It is so hard to be thankful on a daily basis - especially during the season of Lent.  This is not the season for thankfulness.  It is the season for feeling undeserving, or so it seems at times.  Either way, it is a time to consider the blessings of God that we have received.  Some time ago I remember my sister challenging me to list all the things that I am thankful for.  I couldn't do it.  There was too much.  It is always easier to focus on the things we regret or that we wish were not so.

That has been a tough one in the Sasser house today.  We had a great morning celebrating Earth Day at the Lafayette Middle School.  My daughter climbed a 30' inflatable rock wall, made a candle out of bee's wax, and got to touch a preserved shark.  What will she report?  "We didn't get to go canoeing!"

As for me, I had some great time with my family today.  I had an opportunity to sit and visit with church elders who are passionate about their church.  I was able to visit with another member in the hospital and hear stories of her remarkable life.  Then I came home to find that my bike and my wife's bike were stolen.

Both were nice bikes.  Mine happened to have belonged to my locker partner from high school, who used it in his twenties to compete in triathlons before retiring it to my care for much less than its actual value.  I feel violated, angry, and concerned for the safety of my other worldly possessions.  I even feel a little guilty for letting my friend's old bike disappear.  Treva's bike was also second hand, but in good repair.  A friend fixed it up for us only weeks ago.  I had just bought her a new bike helmet for her birthday.  I'm not sure when or if they can be replaced.  We are not the kind of folks who can just go buy new bikes when we want to.

As the children began to project the feelings I expressed by talking about the bad people who stole our bikes, we realized that anger cannot have the final word.  So we talked about how sad it must be to need to steal bikes from a family.  We talked about the need to pray for the thief, and how this is one of the ways that our faith helps us to see the needs of others.  We talked about how it is easy to be faithful when things are good, but it is even more important to be faithful when they are not.

All of this led me to consider the many blessings in my life and to value them in ways that I never would have before.  I'm still angry and sad.  I will continue to regret this loss, even when I eventually get a new bike.  Yet there is a part of me that is truly thankful.  As I prepare for the palms, the passion, the memorial feast, and the empty tomb I have a profound sense of gratitude for God's providence I would not have without this theft.

So, here is a quick list of the things I am thankful for from today:
  • A wife who is my partner, friend, and colaborator against darkness
  • Conversations with elders who have a deep and abiding faith
  • Time with my children in celebration of God's creation
  • Watching my daughter climb a rock wall
  • Watching my son frollic in reckless abandon
  • Having a nice home
  • Receiving 6lbs of boiled crawfish from a friend
  • Being "friended" on facebook by someone else that I have not seen in 30 years
  • The privilege of visiting a venerated church member in the hospital
  • Knowing that I am part of a family of faith that is my church
  • Having friends and loved ones express care and concern
  • The Tagalong fairy brought me some cookies.
  • There is ice cream in the fridge.
  • The endless hugs and kisses of my children, and their deep, caring eyes
  • Someone stole my bike and forced me to think about all that is good in my life.
  • Knowing that all of the above and all that I have yet to express is because of God's providence, God's grace, and God's mercy; and that God's brilliance is so wonderful that it shines even through thieves and madmen like me.
As is said in many a funeral, even at the grave we make our song:  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

So, wave the palms!  Shout Hosanna!  The King of Glory comes to forgive bike thieves, Pharisees, and even those who shout for us to crucify him.  May the mystery and majesty of God's grace continue to be revealed in all our lives, come what may.

Peace,
Zach

Comments

Rev Zach Sasser said…
I posted this on Facebook, and my friend Thom Bower (who is actually a real friend) said, "Wonderful reflection on shifting your thinking. In worship this morning I realized that Jesus' disciples were donkey thieves. May your thief hear Hosannas while riding your bicycle-donkeys, and may they experience many transforming surprises on the roads in the weeks ahead."

I would be remiss without concluding this drama with the fact that there was a note on my desk with some cash to go buy new or used bikes. The "shift in thinking" has now moved from suffering servant to undeserved criminal. There are so many other needs in this world, yet my whining (perhaps even my position as clergy) has afforded me comfort while others remain so destitute that stealing seems a good option to them. There is no satisfactory reason that I should be blessed. God's grace remains ridiculous, and I am thankful for that which I have received. May the presence of God be as undeniable for you as it is for me during this Holy week and Easter. Hallelujah! Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they