Skip to main content

Terrible Presbyterians


 Last Sunday after worship I thanked the trumpet player and noted to our Choir Director, Jake Spinella, how providential it was to have her play that day – being that it was the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Jake made a comment about my Reformation humor, and I said that I hoped to make a good Presbyterian out of him one day. Let it be no reflection on Jake’s good character that the trumpet player said, “Good luck with that!” Let it further be no reflection on him that I said, “No, really, you can be a good Presbyterian and still be a terrible person!”

While that may sit a little funny with some of you, I could not help but think of it as I read this week’s text. As followers of Jesus in the Reformed tradition, we recognize that we are limited by our very humanity and more likely to choose that which benefits ourselves and those we love every time. So, we have to recognize that we can be really good Presbyterians that know the Apostle’s Creed by heart, follow the Book of Order to the letter, study our Confessional heritage, and read and reflect on the Bible daily and yet are limited by our sinful nature.

Sometimes we can be really good Presbyterians and still be really terrible people. I’m not lifting being terrible up as a virtue. I’m saying that sound doctrine and right religious practice does not blot out sin. That’s what Jesus told the crowds on that day. The religious leaders were making a show of their positions and their personal piety without concern for the burden their religious practices placed on the poor, or the way in which they had come into cahoots with the Roman Empire and its oppression of the people.

While it’s easy to throw stones at our spiritual ancestors, it’s important to remember the fragility of our own house. Are we not always held up by the same critical lens? Is hypocrisy not the easiest pot shot to make about the church? Is that not the reason that some have acted violently toward the church, even in this day and age? Is that not the reason that we have a whole generation in our nation that we call “the Nones” – those that have some level of belief but no religious preference?

Certainly, it is! But what do we do about it? Well, first we have to own it. We have to let scripture confront and convict us. We have to hear Paul pleading that we live lives that are worthy of this grace and mercy that we have received, and not just our individual lives but the life we have together as a people of God. And in our life together we have to remember Martin Luther’s definition of the church as a hospital for sinners rather than a hotel for saints!

Of course, if it is a hospital we should have some hope that we might get better. We should have some hope that we are not resigned to sin – we aren’t left alone as terrible people. Not only that, but there is some hope, some expectation, some claim of scripture that reminds us that those who have gone before were, in the long run, not defined by their sinfulness but by the grace and mercy of God.

These are those that are as Saints to us now. They remind us, even in their failings, that God was, is, and shall be active and present and able to lift even you and even me from our own sin and selfishness. While there are so many of these types of Saints that come to mind, I can’t help but think of my grandfather, my Daddy Bill.

In some ways he was a harsh man, and in others gentle. He was a soldier, a businessman, and a family man – a true product of his generation. As a good Presbyterian, one of his favorite words was “stewardship.” It was amazing how that man could apply that word to just about any practice. Stewardship of time, resources, material possessions – you name it, he could frame it. It wasn’t an annual campaign for him. It was a theological orientation that shaped his world view.

In fact, I can remember at least once when he commented on a stranger’s grocery cart and her choices of stewardship. I also remember him as the person who influenced me to pray very short, specific prayers when in restaurants. His prayers were rather long, and I always felt they might be a little bit like the prayers of the Pharisees – you know, praying so that people knew you were praying rather than giving glory to God. And with all his faults those known to me and unknown – I will remember him as the man who in the grip of dementia and memory loss would still sing the refrain of “Trust and Obey” with utmost clarity and sincerity.

And so, it falls to you and me, terrible people and good Presbyterians that we are, to embrace this faith that has even selected us. I don’t mean the Presbyterian faith necessarily. I mean the scriptural claim that God is in our midst and the belief that Jesus offers us salvation, even from ourselves. I mean the faith that lets us recognize how terrible we have been, and can be, but always invites us to this table so that we might demonstrate something more when we leave this place. 

You know, thinking about that, and about the way in which we are all saints and sinners in our own ways, I’m reminded of a conversation with a good Roman Catholic follower of Jesus that I met recently. In our conversation he quoted Psalm 51:3, “For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.

He said, “You know I am really aware of my sins, in fact I have a lot to make up for from the 80’s.” Anyone who has reached adulthood could probably pick a time period and say the same, although I have often sent my kids to school with the parting words, “Make good choices!” so I suppose the same thing could apply to all of us. It could. Except that we do not believe that we are making up for our sin. We can’t. We are always and forever responding to the grace and mercy and forgiveness of God.

And in that space, the space around this table, we can even look at the failings of Saints from before us and find God’s grace. In that space, we can even look at Biblical histories of the genocide of the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girgashites, Amorites, and Jebusites, and we can find compassion for those that seem to threaten and invade our own culture with shifting views and differing ways of thinking and speaking.

In the space around this table – and in the company of Saints that have gone before us and are present and are yet to come – we can, and we must connect faith and practice where and when we see faith being co opted by the powers that be. We have to be willing to talk with each other about the issues of the day, so that we can help frame and understand the world through the lenses of scripture and its faithful application.

I think my grandfather would call that a form of good stewardship. I think, if he were here today, he would tell you that the ritual of dedicating ourselves to the ministry of the church through time, financial resources, and talent is a good thing to do.

It’s not good because of the ritual. It’s good because it’s a natural response to the love of God. It’s good because it empowers us to be a part of what God is doing in the world, with or without us. As for me, I’d rather be a part of what God is doing, because I’m a good Presbyterian and sometimes I can be a terrible person. My sins are always before me, but God’s grace is always behind me. And that means that I am one of the Saints of the church, just like you.


So, let us dedicate our very selves this day with no assurance other than the grace and mercy of God. Let us continue being formed and reformed and always reforming into the image of God our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer. For in that way we will demonstrate the Kingdom that is both present and yet to come, the kingdom that tastes like grain and grapes and forgiveness and thanksgiving; the kingdom that looks like love and justice and right relationships between all people – no matter how terrible or saintly you have been. For one day, in the words of Julian of Norwich, “All shall be well, and all shall be well, and every manner of thing shall be well.” Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they