Skip to main content

Hold On




A few years back I was on my way to work and I heard this brilliantly raw and simple voice on the radio telling me to “hold on.” Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes sang:

Bless my heart, bless my soul
Didn't think I'd make it to 22 years old
There must be someone up above
Sayin', "Come on, Brittany, you got to come on up!”
You got to hold on!

I don’t know what was going on at the time, but it struck me. It played me like I was a string on a guitar. It rang in and out of my soul, and it suddenly became my song.

Does that ever happen to you? Do you ever have those moments where something you see or hear reflects where you are in the world? In these media rich, frenzied days we get image after image, meme after meme, and vine after vine that we drink like junkies and never get enough.

And yet we keep looking. We keep looking for some reflection of our souls. If we listen, the language of our children tells us just that. They see a video of cat jumping and missing a counter or reacting awkwardly to a toy, and they say, “Me.” They see a dog licking at the shadow of water – but not getting any of the water that flows from the hose – and they say, “same.”

Sure, there are more positive images that they identify with, but don’t we all just need a way to acknowledge the awkwardness of life sometimes?

I get the feeling that’s what David had in mind with many of the Psalms. If anything, Psalm 139 is one of those that cuts through the awkwardness of being human in a way that says, “I know your involved in the messiness of life, O God, even if I don’t see it.”

The Psalmist goes on to acknowledge that God is the source of all that is, so that means that at some point—he was God’s next idea— just as you and I were thought up by this provocative thinker of a God.

Before you were a gleam in your father’s eye, before you were knit in your mother’s womb, before there was a reason for me to love you or you me – there was a love that held you in mind.

That’s important stuff to remember when the going gets rough. Like times when you feel like that dog who was licking at shadows in that video I mentioned earlier, or when you forget why you are holding on in the first place. For those times, Brittney sings:

So, bless my heart and bless yours, too
I don't know where I'm gonna go
Don't know what I'm gonna do
There must be somebody up above
Sayin', "Come on, Brittany, you got to get back up!
You Got to hold on!”

Maybe it is the economy, or maybe a friend betrayed you. Maybe you’re scared of the random violence that grips our country. Maybe it’s your health or the health of a loved one that has you wondering from time to time where God is in the midst of it all. It doesn’t matter. Just hold on.

That’s what Paul told a church of believers who were being challenged by conflicts inside and out – just hold on. Again, and again in his letters he reminded them that there was more to life and love and meaning than what they expected to get out of it. And here he specifically told them that even though they were crushed and oppressed and filled with panic about what might happen next, they were not destroyed. They were not without hope. In fact, they would be the source of inspiration for others – even you and even me.

Years later, a poet born in Lebanon in 1883, Kahlil Gibran would write, “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” Of course, it doesn’t feel like that when the carving is going on, so Britney sings:

"Yeah, you gotta wait"
I don't wanna wait
But I don't wanna wait
No, I don't wanna wait
But, you got to hold on…

Waiting on God’s timing is never easy and never fun, because we never do it except for when we realize that we are not actually in charge of the universe and its courses. But sometimes waiting is what it means to hold on.

But what are we waiting for? As we test our spiritual and emotional grip strength, we who follow Jesus must look to him as the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. What does he wait for?

Apparently, in today’s scripture, he waited for a chance to cause trouble. Well, on the one hand he did not wait. He recognized the suffering of another and acted with care. He did not wait for a better time for him. He simply did the right thing for the person he was with.

Now, on the other hand he waited for the Pharisees to have a good view. He wanted them to see and to know what he was doing. He wanted them to recognize their own hypocrisy. Instead, their hearts were filled with malice.

What about us? Are we willing to recognize the suffering of another, even if it challenges what we see as holy? Are we willing to wait for the Lord’s timing when the Lord’s timing is faster than we want to believe? Are we willing to get into the action of life and faith, even with our limitations? Listen once more to Britney:

So, bless my heart and bless my mind
I got so much to do, I ain't got much time
So, must be someone up above
Saying "Come on, girl
Yeah, you got to get back up
You got to hold on

In many ways, that song is what this table is about. As Presbyterian Christians we only gather around it monthly, because we believe that it is not a means of grace but that confirmation of it.
This table celebrates what God has already done, and it reminds us that there is more for us to do. It reminds us that we are called into a more common union with God and one another. It reminds us that we are called to invite more and more people to this banquet, where the richness of God’s mercy is the main course.

The table of Christ reminds us of the claim God placed on us in baptism, and that reminds us that these two sacraments make us aware that all of life is sacred. You got to hold on to that. You got to hold on to the knowledge that there is nowhere you can go where God is not present.

We have to hold on. We have to hold on to one another. For in doing so, we are held by a love like no other – a love that transforms our lives through life lived together, a love that heals and reconciles, a love that lets the cracks in our pots become sources of life giving water to those in need.

Let us rejoice, then, in the call of God to a more common unity that even includes our weaknesses, offers forgiveness, and transforms our lives into constant sources of hope and meaning – even here, even now. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they