Skip to main content

Sacrificial Love



I am not a stranger to the dark
Hide away, they say
'Cause we don't want your broken parts
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
Run away, they say
No one'll love you as you are
But I won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious

So, begins the song, “This Is Me” from the recent film, The Greatest Showman. The movie is a musical based on the life of P.T. Barnum, and his creation of the Barnum and Bailey Circus. It is sung by a bearded lady and chorused by people who were then called “oddities”, and I have to say that it nearly brought me to tears.

That’s not because I have a soft spot for musical theater. It’s because I have a soft spot for the church. What I saw in this collection of people that others might label as misfits and freaks is what I have come to experience in the church of Jesus Christ.

You may not think of me as such a person, truly if anything I’ve been given the role of ring leader. Yet I have not always felt that way. Even though I have been – and still am – part of a privileged class in our society, there has always been a part of me that felt that I did not quite fit in. Yet the church has always been a place of love and acceptance for me.

It makes me wonder, how much more precious might the blessing of love be for the one that is not privileged. How much more sacred does the church feel to the one that is rejected in other communities. How much more precious is the bridge that we form between heaven and earth for the one who has burned all of her bridges between friend and foe and all those between.

I say the bridge we form, but only in the sense that we – the church – are the body of Christ, and individually members of that same body. The message of hope that we share is the same message that Peter shared in front of the religious leaders of his day. This message is that Jesus, the one they rejected, is the one through whom God is acting to save and redeem.

Jesus had told the disciples that when they were accused, the Holy Spirit would give them the words to say, and so it was with Peter. He quoted Psalm 118, because Jesus had opened their minds to understand that this Psalm was not just about David, it was about their rejection of Jesus. Then he goes one further and tells these importantly named leaders that there is only one name that can actually forgive and heal and restore – and that is Jesus.

For some of us that is a great comfort. For some of us it is not. Being an inclusive community with an exclusive claim on salvation raises all kind of questions about what kind of God is OK with that, and what followers of that God might do when push comes to shove. While these are good questions to ask, I think the texts we have today are more focused on whether or not we reject Jesus, what accepting him means for us, and what we are supposed to do about the rejected and unloved ones around us.

When I say that we are being asked if we reject Jesus, what I really mean is “are we loving in the way that Jesus loved?” That’s what 1 John wants to know. Are we loving sacrificially? Are we loving in a way that love is its own reward? Are we loving in a way that convicts us when we don’t and leaves us feeling hollowed out until we do?

I can’t say what that will look like for you, but I can say this – according to 1 John – sacrificial loving is the only way to know that you are abiding in the presence of God in this life. Not only that, but he links sin and love and salvation to our relationships with one another – especially with the poor.

The great moral crisis for 1 John is to be sure that we are treating each other with equity and justice and he seems to just slip it in there off handedly. It’s as if he’s saying, “If we love God, why is there poverty?” Then he finishes it with, “Look, God’s going to take care of you if you just take care of each other.”

He doesn’t seem to care about the question of, “What happens if I give everything to the poor and then I become poor?” He simply cares that we love God and we love one another.

Some 50 years ago, the question of loving those in poverty was being answered by Martin Luther King Jr. through his development of the Poor People’s Campaign. Many in this room may even remember the organizing work that he did on behalf of the economically oppressed. It has even been said that it was because of this work that he was killed.

Dr. King’s work left a legacy of change, and yet some claim that voting rights and restrictions continue to neglect people of color – perhaps even more than ever before.  While we have had great gains in economic opportunities for people of color, they still make up a disproportionate part of those in poverty. Many still find themselves ghettoized and limited by school zone policies and gerrymandered voting districts for both parties.

How can this be, if we have accepted the love of God? How can this be if we are truly living sacrificially?

I don’t have any political solutions, but I have a theological one. Our nation may be founded on Christian principals, but it is not a nation of only Christians. It won’t ever be, unless there is a manifestation of love so powerful that it overwhelms and convicts us all.

That’s where you and I come in. You and I are the ones that are able to look at the brokenness of the world and say that we have a shepherd that is good and capable of caring for you and for me and for all the brokenness of the world at the same time. We have the opportunity of lifting that message up and letting it spill out in acts of love and mercy and joy – because we are sheep.

I will admit that last part may not sell really well. Most of us think of sheep as blind followers, and that’s because we have no idea what sheep and shepherding are all about. There is actually a fair amount of intimacy and trust – just as it says in our reading from John’s Gospel.

Sheep know and recognize their shepherd’s voice. Not only that, they recognize faces and learn who they are – who they can trust. Of course, we all know that they are heard animals. They like consistency. They mate for life, some even choosing a same gendered partner. They startle easily. It takes time and routine for changes in behavior to come about. That’s not so bad, except that we have to realize that we aren’t the only sheep.

Not only that, but it is essential to the work of the shepherd that new sheep be added from outside of the flock. John was most likely talking about the gentiles, those “God fearers” that hung about at the fringes of Jewish custom and practice.

It certainly is convenient to leave the claim of “other sheep” with them, but I don’t think it’s quite that simple. No, our calling is to love those from the outside in such a way that they would want to be part of the inside. Our task is to love sacrificially, not in order to get others to join but because of the love that has been given to us.

My hope is that we might seek out those in need. My hope is that this could be a place where the ones others call freaks and disappointments will recognize that they are, in fact, enough.

There’s a story about that I want to leave you with. It comes from Nadia Boltz Weber, a Lutheran Pastor of the Church for Sinners and Saints. You wouldn’t guess it from her colored shirt, but her arms are covered in tattoos. She’s an addict in recovery, and she’s not shy about it. One of the stories she tells is about an early time in the development of her young congregation. They had to have a meeting, because they were starting to get some people that were a little different than their usual crowd. These new people were suburbanites. They wore khakis and such.

Rev. Boltz Weber was actually concerned, because most of her flock were people of little power and influence – unlike the new crowd. The amazing shift came from the voice of a young, gay teenager who said, “I’m really glad that they’re here, because they look like my parents. My parents still don’t accept me for who I am, but here at church these people do.” And that settled it. There was nothing left to do but love and sacrifice and accept.

It is the same for you and for me. Loving is often hard, and it requires us to let go of things. It requires us to pick up some things. It requires us to see the value in the valueless, hope in the hopeless, and love in the loveless.

All of this – our acceptance of Jesus that we demonstrate through accepting one another – comes down to one thing. That is the way we live, together and apart, in response to the resurrection of Jesus.
Think on that, because at the end of worship today we are once again filling out cards that finish the sentence, “Because he lives…” Today, given that we’ve been talking about putting love into action, I’d like you to think of an action to use to finish the sentence. “Because he lives, I will…”

Be bold! Be creative! Be open to the possibility of love that makes you even ask God for more opportunities to love. For God will surely provide. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they