Skip to main content

More from New Orleans

You may have read some of the earlier posts about friends I have in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I started working with a friend named Sonya in Metairie and some other ministers in our presbytery to field a team of youth to go down there during Spring Break. God has provided the leadership and a crew of 15 youth and 10 adults from 6 congregations is down there right now. I'll be posting thier emails so you can get a first hand account of their experience.

I'm disapointed that I could not convey to my youth and their families the opportunity of meeting Christ in the need of others. I am disappointed that leisure and convenience trumps human suffering. At the same time I am aware that these brave souls have gone into dangerous territory where there is much disease and opportunity for personal injury. I am also guilty of this same transgression, as I can not justify going on the trip without my youth given that Treva and I have a 2 yr. old and a six week old at home with no extended family in the area to offer support.

It seems only fitting to me that they do this at this time of year. Our moderator, Rick Ufford-Chase, was recently quoted as saying, "The only way to the resurection is through the cross and suffering. Jesus makes this clear. He will suffer, and anyone else who gets it will suffer too." The joy of the resurection is ours, friends. The joy of the cross is ours as well. Pray for my friends and colleagues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emails from Baton Rouge

Clint Mitchel, mentioned in the previous article, is an Associate Pastor in Baton Rouge. They have set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and are involved in providing assistance reuniting displaced families. I'll post an email here from a list serve that several of my friends from seminary are on. I'll post a few more as comments. Feel free to add your own comments about how your congregation or group is responding. Presently the congregation I serve is taking up a special offering. Some members are also taking in students who have been relocated to VA. Here's what Clint needs/is doing: Martha, Our church has set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and infants. We are working with people from all over on supplies. Right now, monetary donations are most helpful, partially because the needs are changing from day to day. Our church has set up a fund for Hurricane Relief efforts. To send a donation, please make a check out to University Presbyterian Ch...

Swim Lessons

So, here I sit, poolside @ the Y. My daughter's class is lined up on the side with feet in the pool. Each in turn are going to one end to swim the length of a lane. Their teacher is in the water with them. A lifeguard with a clipboard has silently joined to evaluate, and another is on the stand and ready to save. The class cheers one another on, or at least they did for the first three. Miraculously they began again when the weakest swimmer began.  My heart feels the pang of guilt when another parent cheers with me for my child (I was blogging during his). I can't help but reflect on how this is like the church.  Three lifeguards may seem like overkill, but is that not what we have received through Christ?  I like he idea that God is in it with us, evaluating our progress, and ready to save. We always need a God who is ready to save. Why else would confession be part of our regular spiritual walk? Then there's the church, called together and given purpose by God. W...

The Question

I saw this on a card at the beach while on a clergy retreat. This and Matthew 7:7-8 are the inspiration for the title of this blog. Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day. - Rainer Maria Rilke Letters to a Young Poet