Skip to main content

Are you pretending to be God?

A day or so ago my 4 year old son asked me a strange question just before dinner.  He said, "Daddy, are you pretending to be God?"  I was caught off guard a little.  God language is prevalent in our home, but we have always been clear that we don't pretend to be God.  We haven't had a need for that discussion in a while, so I had no idea where he was coming from.  "No. Why do you ask?", was my reply.  "Because God always gives us good things to eat."

How cool is that?  I get so caught up in the doing of things and often think that it is all up to me.  Yet I teach my children to give thanks to God for every little thing.  Psalm 147:7-9 from this morning's daily lectionary reading reminds me of the source of all that is.

 [7]  Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
        make melody to our God on the lyre.
 [8]  He covers the heavens with clouds,
        prepares rain for the earth,
        makes grass grow on the hills.
 [9]  He gives to the animals their food,
        and to the young ravens when they cry.
 [10] His delight is not in the strength of the horse,
        nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner;
 [11] but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,
        in those who hope in his steadfast love.
 
At the same time, I am aware that Paul tells us in his letters to be imitators of Christ.  Christian forbearers like Teresa of Avila remind us that Christ has no hands now on earth but ours.  So, in a way, yes - we do pretend to be God.  Or perhaps, through Christ we realize that we are a part of God, and our actions may be those of God.  But only when we recognize God as the source of every good and wonderful blessing. And only when we move from reverence into presence.

I think that changes everything.  Even the task of cooking a meal and providing care for someone we love.  Even the desire to move beyond those we love and care for those we don't want to.

So, have fun.  Be encouraged.  Let your life be a song of thanksgiving! Go on... just pretend you are God, or better yet - believe that you are God's, holy and beloved.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emails from Baton Rouge

Clint Mitchel, mentioned in the previous article, is an Associate Pastor in Baton Rouge. They have set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and are involved in providing assistance reuniting displaced families. I'll post an email here from a list serve that several of my friends from seminary are on. I'll post a few more as comments. Feel free to add your own comments about how your congregation or group is responding. Presently the congregation I serve is taking up a special offering. Some members are also taking in students who have been relocated to VA. Here's what Clint needs/is doing: Martha, Our church has set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and infants. We are working with people from all over on supplies. Right now, monetary donations are most helpful, partially because the needs are changing from day to day. Our church has set up a fund for Hurricane Relief efforts. To send a donation, please make a check out to University Presbyterian Ch...

Swim Lessons

So, here I sit, poolside @ the Y. My daughter's class is lined up on the side with feet in the pool. Each in turn are going to one end to swim the length of a lane. Their teacher is in the water with them. A lifeguard with a clipboard has silently joined to evaluate, and another is on the stand and ready to save. The class cheers one another on, or at least they did for the first three. Miraculously they began again when the weakest swimmer began.  My heart feels the pang of guilt when another parent cheers with me for my child (I was blogging during his). I can't help but reflect on how this is like the church.  Three lifeguards may seem like overkill, but is that not what we have received through Christ?  I like he idea that God is in it with us, evaluating our progress, and ready to save. We always need a God who is ready to save. Why else would confession be part of our regular spiritual walk? Then there's the church, called together and given purpose by God. W...

Preamble for Old Blog

This was imported along with posts from a previous blog titled "When Did I See You?" The title expresses a fundamental view of mine. The proclamation that we serve God through serving others trumps doctrine and dogma. It reminds me that I don't serve others because it wins me points, but rather because they in their weakness and poverty have more blessing to offer me than I in my abundance have for them. So, social justice trumps political correctness and affiliation. Common bonds of human experience trump allegiances of all other kind. And in this space I hope to build some conversation about how these ideas translate into a "new" way of being in the world that has actually been around for about two thousand years or more. Obviously by the slant of the above argument I am of the class of the "haves" rather than one of the "have nots." Even though I'm not wealthy by US standards, I am filthy rich by global standards. There are cer...