Skip to main content

America Bless God

This was my newsletter article for June/July. It came out just before Memorial Day, so I thought I would share it here...

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless God’s holy name. Psalm 103:1

“America, Bless God!” I remember seeing this phrase on a homemade sign in Chester, VA in the days following September 11, 2001. I thought it interesting and strange at the time. I don’t know who wrote it or why, but I believe they were trying to make a different statement than “God, Bless America.” It reminds me of a time during prayer when Zoe said, “Daddy, you’re being kind of demanding to God.” Of course there is more to it than all of that. Scripture tells us “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”

So, there is nothing wrong with asking God to bless America, but there is more to it than that. A blessing can mean many things. We often think of it as getting something good. Some people even use it to describe a state of providence in the midst of trials. “I am blessed.” has become a popular answer to the question, “How are you?” In the ancient temple practices, and in some churches today, items are blessed or dedicated for a particular function. Blessing equates to calling and service.

On Memorial Day and the Fourth of July we will honor and remember those who have served in the military and fought for our freedom. It is a good and appropriate thing to do. With these celebrations we must also find ways to give honor and glory to God. We must be certain that in blessing the Lord we are giving praise for God’s providence and seeking to serve as instruments of grace and peace. For this many have died. For this many of us live. For this - for the demonstration of God’s power to redeem and save - we were created. May God continue to bless our fellowship, as we seek ways to bless the Lord in our corporate and common lives. Amen!

As an addendum, I think the folks at www.dogblessyou.org have a good take on the above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emails from Baton Rouge

Clint Mitchel, mentioned in the previous article, is an Associate Pastor in Baton Rouge. They have set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and are involved in providing assistance reuniting displaced families. I'll post an email here from a list serve that several of my friends from seminary are on. I'll post a few more as comments. Feel free to add your own comments about how your congregation or group is responding. Presently the congregation I serve is taking up a special offering. Some members are also taking in students who have been relocated to VA. Here's what Clint needs/is doing: Martha, Our church has set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and infants. We are working with people from all over on supplies. Right now, monetary donations are most helpful, partially because the needs are changing from day to day. Our church has set up a fund for Hurricane Relief efforts. To send a donation, please make a check out to University Presbyterian Ch...

Swim Lessons

So, here I sit, poolside @ the Y. My daughter's class is lined up on the side with feet in the pool. Each in turn are going to one end to swim the length of a lane. Their teacher is in the water with them. A lifeguard with a clipboard has silently joined to evaluate, and another is on the stand and ready to save. The class cheers one another on, or at least they did for the first three. Miraculously they began again when the weakest swimmer began.  My heart feels the pang of guilt when another parent cheers with me for my child (I was blogging during his). I can't help but reflect on how this is like the church.  Three lifeguards may seem like overkill, but is that not what we have received through Christ?  I like he idea that God is in it with us, evaluating our progress, and ready to save. We always need a God who is ready to save. Why else would confession be part of our regular spiritual walk? Then there's the church, called together and given purpose by God. W...

The Question

I saw this on a card at the beach while on a clergy retreat. This and Matthew 7:7-8 are the inspiration for the title of this blog. Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day. - Rainer Maria Rilke Letters to a Young Poet