Skip to main content

Gratefully Alive (pt. 2): Habitual Thanksgiving




A few weeks ago I began a four-part series on gratitude based on reflections on the lectionary in conversation with the book, Gratitude – The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks, by Diana Butler Bass. You may or may not remember that I’m calling this series “Gratefully Alive,” and yes, the pun is intended.

It may or may not have been a good idea to interrupt that series with a guest preacher last week, but I think we all enjoyed learning more about our Living Waters project in Cuba. Since our readings repeatedly remind us that Jesus is the bread of life this month, it certainly didn’t hurt to hear that he is the living water for the world – then and now.

In case you are like me and you find that a few nights’ sleep may challenge your immediate recall of the past, I’ll remind you where we left off. We started out talking about the connection between grace and gratitude and the way that it holds us in our darkest times and spills out into our lives like water running down a mountain!

At least it can— It can if we want it to do so. If we cultivate the practice of gratitude – not as quid pro quo, but as an act of participation in the moments of grace that hold us dear – then God’s grace will move us and shape us into something so much greater than we can imagine.

So, today we are being called deeper into the imagination of God. Today we are being called deeper into the opportunity of gratitude for the free gift of good loving grace that God has given us through Christ!

Now, we could talk about habits and the power of ritual and studies about training your brain and all that fun stuff, but I’d rather talk about Truman. Not the president – Truman was a member of my church. I did not really know him as a child. He was one of the old guys that tolerated children like me that ran about. I didn’t really know him, although he knew me.

He knew my family. He saw our rise and fall from the perfect young family to the struggling single mom. He saw me become engaged in youth ministry and struggle through college. He knew of my young, ill-conceived marriage and the divorce that followed. When I came back to the church after a time of wandering in a spiritual desert, he bought me lunch. We didn’t really talk about much. He just wanted me to feel cared for – BBQ can do that in a special way.
Truman was actually serving the church as a Parrish Associate at the time. That’s a term some churches use for an elder or a retired minister that enjoys a ministry of visitation for the sick and elderly. Anyway, it wasn’t actually the BBQ that impacted me the most in that visit. It was his whistle.

It may not have even been the same day. I had been visiting with our Pastor and preparing to preach my first sermon, and I heard Truman in his office whistling the tune of a hymn. What struck me about it was that this was a man who meant every note. This was a man whose faith was sincere, nose to toes, and I thought, “Wow. I hope I get there one day.”

Sadly, I don’t think I ever thanked him beyond the basic social expectation of gratitude, but through that one little act he became a reason for me to give thanks to God. He became a model of thanksgiving as a person filled with the joy of salvation when he had no reason to be, at least none that I could see.

I’m sure we all have “Trumans” in our lives, and many of us have been a “Truman” for others. There are certainly greater witnesses of committed Christians standing up for the less fortunate and demonstrating the active presence of God through acts of love and service, but it all starts with a guiding principle. It starts with a kernel of faith that moves us from self-centeredness to self-awareness and even into God-centeredness and connectedness to others.

As odd as it may seem, that is the same point that Jesus is making in today’s reading by calling himself the “Bread of life that has come down from heaven.” The Jews who have gathered have followed him in boats to Capernaum, because they saw him divide the loaves and fish. Jesus has told them that they need to get it straight and set their minds on things that last instead of things that rot.

It’s important to remember that this gospel was written for a small community in which some have left and others have tried to push them out of the synagogues. This gospel was written for a people like us, who are trying to get their heads around a guiding principle that will drive all of their decisions. That principle is a basic belief in Jesus as God’s self-revelation – not just for them, but for all of humanity!

What does that mean – that God revealed God’s self in and through Jesus? What does it mean that the flesh of Jesus is the bread from heaven? It means that the flesh of Jesus has given way to an experience of grace that reverses the hold of sin and death in the world! It means that just as David followed the pattern of the sin of Adam through forbidden fruit and a fractured family, Jesus broke the pattern of Absalom – the rebellious son who died hanging between heaven and earth!

For Jesus hung on a cross between heaven and earth to prove that nothing is stronger than the love of God. He set the pattern that we might follow, a pattern that opens our eyes to what Diana Butler Bass calls a habit of gratitude that reshapes our lives and helps us see with “soft eyes”. She explains what she means with a quote from the renowned Quaker and teacher, Parker Palmer as saying,

“In the Japanese art of Aikido there is a practice called “soft eyes”—it means to widen one’s periphery to take in more of the world. If a stimulus is introduced to an unprepared person, his [or her] eyes narrow and the flight/fight response takes over. If the same unexpected stimulus comes to someone with “soft eyes,” the natural reflex is transcended and a more authentic response takes its place. Soft eyes.. [illustrates] what happens when we gaze on sacred reality. Now our eyes are open and receptive, able to take in the greatness of the world and the grace of great things.”

Sounds like a great theory, but how does it walk and talk? Well, I submit to you a man named Ked Parker. Amidst all the chatter of White Supremacy and division and hate in our country – of which he was a voice at a microphone – a courageous black pastor did something his little congregation did not expect. He invited a white supremacist named Kid to church, and he came; and his eyes were opened; and he found life and love and redemption and hope.

I believe that’s what Paul had in mind when he wrote to the church in Ephesus and told them to be “imitators of God”. Simple task, right – imitate God? Yeah. Easy-peasey. In truth we often act as though we are the ones that control the universe, but that’s really not what he meant.

No, he meant imitators of the love and forgiveness that we have received. All his talk about an ethic of work for the sake of generosity, overcoming the sin and negativity that separates us, and building one another up is hinged on one thing – the sacrificial love of Jesus.

Again, Bass encourages us to see that when we focus on that love – not just on Sundays, but in the pattern of our days – we find that we get a wider, more honest, vision of the past. We also get a clearer sense of God’s active presence here and now, and we become more receptive to the future that God is drawing us into.

Brothers and sisters we are being drawn into the Spirit’s tether, here in this place.  And it comes down to this: who are you and I going to invite into a life of love and redemption, and how will that action – like all the rest – flow from our gratitude to God?

Beloved of God, I want you to know that even though you have decisions to make about your own ethic of gratitude, I am ever grateful that we’ve been given one another to work out our collective response to God’s grace together. That is what we’ll be looking at next week.

As we move through this week, I want to encourage you to take a moment every day and think of at least one thing that you are grateful for. Let it be for God’s glory, amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they