Skip to main content

Gratefully Alive (pt. 3): Welcome to the Party!




Today we are on part three of four-part series on gratitude which is based on reflections on the lectionary in conversation with the book, Gratitude – The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks, by Diana Butler Bass.

As a reminder of where we have been, we started out talking about the feeling of gratitude and the way it is a natural response to God’s grace. God has freely given to us, and when we recognize God’s gifts of providence and forgiveness and powerful sustaining presence, we feel grateful. Last Sunday we talked about what to do about that feeling.

We talked about the way in which gratitude can help us see more clearly and love more dearly and even order the pattern of our days. Today, we are going to talk about a more collective response to God’s grace. Today we are going to have a bit of a fête in worship, if you don’t mind.

Maybe we’ll even have a bit of a ruckus. That happened to me one time at a coffee shop downtown. I was meeting with a few college students that were attending here at the time, and a man sat down at the piano near us and said, “You mind if I start a ruckus?” I have never felt so hipster, and rarely have I felt so much a part of a community.

So, I’m going to start a ruckus in here with a little game called word association. I’m going to say a word, and I want you to say the first thing that comes to mind. If someone beats you to it, then say the next thing that you think of based on the word the first person said. If we get stumped, I’ll throw out a new word. Your first word is “Peanut.”

(other words: Simple, Wisdom, People, Eat, Flesh, Drink, Blood)

Well, that was fun! Thank you for playing.

I wanted to start with a game, because reading Diana Butler Bass reminded me that play is something that shifts our focus. Play pulls us out of isolation and into connectivity. We were already on our way to greater connectivity because we are here together. We are here doing something that is different than anything else we do all week, and what we are doing is grounded in the idea that there is a God who loves us and calls us into celebration again and again and again!

 We are called together so that we can figure out how to – in the words of Paul – live as wise people, who make the most of our time because the days are evil. It’s sad and strange that the days still seem to be evil. We could probably look back to the time of Paul and talk about oppressive governments and abuses of power, but that’s just so abstract.

What really matters in our lives today is that we still have racism, fascism, and people groups we like to hate. We still have disagreements over how to treat our Christian brothers and sisters that live on the other side of invisible lines. We still argue over how to love those who do not conform to our social mores of gender and sexuality, and yet they are the ones who keep telling us that love is love is love is love. What matters today is that we are still trying to work out what it means that God was pleased in flesh with us to dwell and that we must eat of that very flesh in order to live.

Whooo! Now, that’s a party. Jesus was flash mobbed by people that he had just fed with bread and the meat of fish, and they wanted seconds! They were even OK with just being told how he did it, but Jesus had to spoil the party and say, “If you don’t eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you.”

Now, as gross as that sounds to us, imagine how they must have felt. They argued about it with each other in the same way the church argues to this day but notice that they didn’t argue with him. In fact, if you keep reading you’ll see that not only the crowd of Judeans but also some of those who were disciples would stop following him after this.

Jesus did not literally want to go full “Walking Dead” here, although it seems that some may have thought so. You have to remember that this Jesus – as portrayed in John’s gospel – is the one who told Nicodemus to be birthed a second time. Jesus is the one that told the Samaritan woman that she would never have to drink water again. He is also the one who told his disciples that he was so satisfied by her testimony to others that he did not need to eat. So, yeah, he spoke in hyperbole – except that he really meant it.

You see, Jesus is the Word, the Logos, the creative force of God in human form. What he is offering them, and you and I is to realize that we are connected in a way that matters today and echoes throughout time and space. What Jesus offers is life that is really living – abundantly!

God’s grace is abundant and overflowing. It’s wasteful and silly and even playful sometimes, and of course we remember, and we taste, and we see God’s grace in the celebration of Holy Communion.
For those that may be new to our tradition, we celebrate communion monthly in the Presbyterian Church. Primarily that’s to acknowledge the sacredness of it, but also to recognize that God’s love is not given through the sacrament. God’s love is celebrated through it. We do believe that in sharing the bread and the cup they are not only a symbol of the body and blood of Jesus, but they become what they symbolize – not literal flesh and blood, but a means to recognize that we are both consuming and consumed by – or perhaps immersed in – the love of God.

If that was little too, well, Presbyterian, let me say it this way. We are brought into a more common union with God and one another through normal, physical stuff that serves a sacred purpose when we come together in God’s name.

Nobel Poet Laureate, Seamus Haney, who was born a Roman Catholic in Protestant Northern Ireland said it this way:
“Like everybody else, I bowed my head
during the consecration of the bread and wine,
lifted my eyes to the raised host and raised chalice,
believed (whatever it means) that a change occurred.
I went to the altar rails and received the mystery
on my tongue, returned to my place, shut my eyes fast, made
an act of thanksgiving opened my eyes and felt time starting up again.”

In that act of thanksgiving we ready ourselves for time to start up again, but if the only way we can experience it is in a feeling of personal salvation, then we have missed the boat. If we are truly to experience the life-giving presence of God, then we have to realize that we have been invited into a party that does not wait for our flesh to be worn down and sown into the earth. It is a party that starts up in every time and place where we take the opportunity to make a ruckus – a joyful noise that connects us one to one and all together.

When that happens, we will truly see the humanity in others as a reflection of our own. We will truly see all of creation as the abundance of God’s love, and we will truly become the blessed community that is both transformed and transforming the world around us through our gratitude and awareness of God’s grace and mercy.

Think on that. Pray about what it means to be the blessed community in service to others. That’s where we’ll pick up next time. Until then, may the grace that binds us move us from you and me to we, and from us and them to everybody’s in – and to God be the Glory now and always. Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they