Skip to main content

Do You Love Jesus?

Some of you may remember that back on Epiphany we handed out stars with words on them. These words were intended to be a suggestion for a way to be reminded of God’s self-revelation in Jesus. They were meant to be a guiding principle for the year as we follow Jesus together. My “star word” was “devotion.”

You may think that is a pretty easy one for me. To some extent, I suppose it is, but it also acts as a constant reminder that just because I wear a collar on Sundays doesn’t mean that my life has been completely given over to God. I still have to ask myself over and over the same question that Jesus asks Peter. Do I truly love God? Are my actions demonstrating that love? Is the quality of my relationships reflecting that love?

These are questions that we must all ask ourselves over and over again. I would even suggest that it’s one of the reasons you are here today. Maybe you came or thought you came, to get some answers and make sense out of life. I hope you get a little of that, too.  Unfortunately Jesus does often answer a question with a question, and today the question is, “Do you love him?”

That maybe moving a little fast in your relationship with Jesus. It may also be a question that is long overdue. I can’t answer that for you. What I can tell you about today is that today we are confronted in the same way we were on Epiphany Sunday with the question “Now what?”

Sometime back a friend of mine introduced me to a way of processing experiences by three questions, “What just happened?”, “So, what does it matter?” and “Now what?” We know what just happened. This is the third time in John that Jesus has appeared to his disciples after his death. Last week we talked about why the resurrection matters. Sin and death have been conquered, and faith in the risen Christ should move us to life-affirming action.

So, now what? We’re in the “Now what?” of Easter. For some, particularly a guy named Saul, it meant open season on believers. So far all we know about Saul from Acts is that he approved of the stoning of Stephen. He held the coats of those that threw rocks. He must have some level of authority – we later find out that he is a Pharisee – because he gets a letter from the priest allowing him to round up others that follow the way of Jesus to have them bound and carted off to Jerusalem.

How much worse of a response could you have to the news that Jesus Christ is risen? Maybe he had not heard that part yet. He certainly heard it on the way to Damascus. Apparently, even those he traveled with heard it, but he was the one blinded by the light of this truth. He was the one that God chose to share the good news of it all because he was the one that was standing the most strongly in the way.

What strikes me as even more interesting is the people who took him in and guided him on his way. Maybe their names were pretty common, but the inn keeper’s name was Judas, and the disciple who came to him was Ananias. Judas was, of course, the name of the disciple who betrayed him, and Ananias was the name of a man who God struck dead for his lack of faith in Acts 5.

Maybe these are just common names. Maybe the story is bent on demonstrating redemptive love over and over again as the way of Jesus unfolds for us as well. Either way, I love Ananias’ response to God’s call. “That guy? Lord are you sure you have the right person. This is Saul, the one dragging families out of their homes to stand trial.”

It occurs to me that the likelihood that you and I will face something like this is pretty unlikely, and yet every day it seems that people are more at odds over religion. Every day it seems that people become more unsure if the Christianity that we proclaim is the same as the one down the street. It’s certainly true that there are violent attacks in other parts of the world, but what about the discord and fracture that is the church here and now?

Dietrick Bonhoeffer in the classic text, Life Together, talks about the difficulty of finding a true, spiritual community in a time leading up to Nazi Germany. Rather than invoking the specter of the Nazi’s, I think it’s important to acknowledge that what he has to say about our life together is that it is always and ever an approximation of what God intends for us in the long run. In fact, he says that the right and proper place for Christians is “among enemies.” In Christ, God came to dwell with those who were hostile to God.

The right, good, and proper place for us is not hiding behind locked doors for fear of the world, but out in it. The right place for us is to be where we have the opportunity to say, “God, are you sure you’ve got the right person, here? That person’s views and values are actually threatening to me.” If we are asking that question, then we are probably in the right place, and we are probably going to hear Jesus say, “Do you love me?”

Jesus asked Peter that question three times, and I have to wonder if Peter connected that with his three denials of Jesus. Remember now, at this point, the disciples are well past asking, “What now?” They’ve seen the risen Lord! Mary was the first, and she was told not to hold onto him. Then they all saw him. Thomas even demanded to touch his wounds, and Jesus had filled them with the Holy Spirit.
Yet, somehow, they decided to go fishing. Maybe they ran out of money. Maybe they were waiting on Jesus to Finnish what he had started. Whatever they thought, what they were doing was returning to their old lives. Then Jesus shows up and says, “How’s that working for you?”

Here’s what matters in all of this. There’s no question as to whether God is active and present in our lives. The question is whether we are willing to acknowledge it. Jumping into God’s embrace, like Peter and his swan dive for Jesus, can be risky and disruptive, but it always moves us to see the abundance of God’s grace and mercy that is already active in our lives.

That doesn’t mean that if we just pray, we’re going to end up with a pot full of cash or that we aren’t responsible for what we do. It means that God’s forgiveness, God’s love, God’s rescue of our very souls are at hand. It means God’s grace is celebrated in tiny streams of water, even though it is as big as an ocean. It means that when we come to God, we will find that our needs are already being considered, and it means that when we love God, we must love others in the same way.

Wait, what? How did you slip that one in at the end there, preacher man? Hey, don’t blame me. Blame Jesus. He’s the one who said, “Love others as I have loved you.” and then, “If you love me, feed my sheep.”

We can, and hopefully will spend our lives together working out what that means, but this I know for sure: We have been given one another to work it out together. God’s calling may be disruptive. God’s active presence may be disturbing and uncomfortable, but it comes with the promise of grace. It comes with the offering of the covenant. The covenant of God’s grace never requires us to earn it, but it always results in our desire to love in the way we’ve been loved.

If our spiritual communion is real and true, it always pushes us to grab hands and love even the one – perhaps especially the one – who would reject and harm us the most. Even a brief internet search can show you plenty of occasions of people overcoming white supremacy or crossing political and religious lines because of a desire to be governed by love. It doesn’t sell ad space. It’s few and far between, but it’s out there.

I want to leave you instead with two different experiences that have confronted me with the question of God’s love. The first is from my grandmother, Margaret Sasser. She was a great woman of faith. In one of our visits, while I was in seminary, she prayed for me. She said, “Lord, I know you love Zachary, and I know he loves you.” That was new, un-seminarified, the pure language of faith, and it made me realize that yes, I do love the Lord. It also holds me accountable to this day of how I must love others because I love the Lord.

The last example I’ll share is from a Middle School retreat in Virginia called at Massanetta Springs. It’s an amazing experience that blends adult and High School student leaders to model discipleship for Middle Schoolers. Before each event, the “Middlers” are gathered outside of the pavilion. There’s a hill sloping upward to meet it, and one day while the last technical details were being worked out inside, some of the leaders started a chant back and forth with the conferees.

It was something between a Psalm of ascent for pilgrims headed to the temple and cheerleaders at a pep rally. The leaders shouted, “We love Jesus, yes we do! We love Jesus, how ‘bout you?” The crowd repeated the phrase back, and it got louder and louder as more gathered for worship! It was a lot more exciting than I thought it was going to be, but it does make me wonder. How are they loving Jesus now?

How are any of us? How do we take the bread that has been broken for us and become the body of Christ that has been broken for the world? Simple. We first recognize that we have a need, that we have received, and that God’s abundant love is more than enough for us to share.

None of this is without risk, but then again nothing else is either. So, thanks be to God that we have been given each other to work it out together. The One who came is the One who ascended. The One who ascended is the One we cannot hold because it is Christ who holds us together. As the Body of Christ, we must be broken for the world, so that everyone – even those we call enemy – might know of God’s abundant grace and mercy and love.

With full bellies and full hearts, the question remains, do you love Jesus? Let us, then, be about the business of tending the sheep together. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they