Skip to main content

Don’t Call It A Mission Trip

Sermon delivered in Presbiteriana Iglesia Sabanilla, Cuba on May 19, 2019



Hello, my people!
!Hola mi gente!

I have missed you.
Les he echado de menos.

I have longed to see you.
He anhelado verles.

I have prayed for you, and I am thankful to God that God has brought me back to you.
He orado por ustedes y agradezco a Dios que Dios me haya devuelto a ustedes.

I called you, “my people,” because I recently heard a musical artist from Guatemala, and he called his audience, “my people.”
Les llamé "mi gente" porque recientemente escuché a un artista musical de Guatemala y él llamó a su audiencia "mi gente".

The crowd responded with cheers of joy, and he started introducing his band. One was from Honduras. Another was from Venezuela. Their music had a wonderful Latin American sound! The crowd was swaying, and I thought, “I’ve been to Guatemala, maybe I can be one of his people for a little while.”
La multitud respondiĂł con gritos de alegrĂ­a, y Ă©l comenzĂł a presentar su banda. Uno era de Honduras. Otra era de venezuela. ¡Su mĂşsica tenĂ­a un maravilloso sonido latino! La multitud se tambaleaba y pensĂ©: "He estado en Guatemala, tal vez pueda ser parte de su gente por un tiempo".

Then he introduced his trumpet player. He was from Cuba! Then I thought, “I may have been to Guatemala, but I have family in Cuba! I’m definitely one of his people now!
Luego presentĂł a su trompetista. ¡Era de Cuba! Entonces pensĂ©: “He estado en Guatemala, ¡pero tengo familia en Cuba! ¡Definitivamente soy uno de los suyos ahora!"


I say that I have a family, because you are my brothers and sisters in Christ. When I describe you to other people, I often say that you are our sister church. When we talk about our Living Waters partnership at First Presbyterian, we say that you are our partner church. These words are very important, and our scripture reading can help us to see why.
Yo digo que tengo familia en Cuba, porque ustedes son mis hermanos y hermanas en Cristo. Cuando les describo a otras personas, a menudo digo que la vuestra es nuestra iglesia hermana. Cuando hablamos de nuestra asociación de Aguas Vivas para el Mundo en nuestra iglesia de Lafayette, decimos que usted es nuestra iglesia socia. Estas palabras son muy importantes, y nuestra lectura de las Escrituras de hoy puede ayudarnos a ver por qué.

Although our reading is very comforting, the book of the Revelations of John has some very terrible images in it, and it can be very confusing. What we need to remember about this book is that it was written to people who were suffering for their faith.
Aunque nuestra lectura es muy reconfortante, el libro de las Revelaciones de Juan tiene algunas imágenes terribles, y puede ser muy confuso. Lo que debemos recordar acerca de este libro es que fue escrito para personas que estaban sufriendo por su fe.

It was written to give them hope, and it was written to remind them (and to tell us) that the suffering and sacrificial love of Jesus is more powerful than any earthly power that has ever been or ever will be.
Fue escrito para darles esperanza, y fue escrito para recordarles (y decirnos) que el sufrimiento y el amor sacrificial de Jesús es más poderoso que cualquier poder terrenal que haya sido o siempre será.

In this passage, we are assured that one day there will be a new heaven and a new earth, and the new holy city will come down so that the two become one, and God will live among us!
En este pasaje, estamos seguros de que un dĂ­a habrá un nuevo cielo y una nueva tierra, y la nueva ciudad santa bajará para que los dos se conviertan en uno, ¡y Dios vivirá entre nosotros!

What a great day that will be! What great hope we have that one day all suffering will come to an end, and the sign of this all coming true is that we will be given to drink from the river of life!
¡QuĂ© gran dĂ­a será! ¡QuĂ© gran esperanza tenemos de que un dĂ­a todo el sufrimiento llegue a su fin, y la señal de que todo esto se realizara es que Dios se nos dará a beber del rĂ­o de la vida!

I want you to know that I believe that this is all coming true right here and right now! Of course you know that I mean that it is coming true through our Living Waters partnership, but it’s more than that.
¡Quiero que sepan que creo que todo esto se está realizando aquĂ­ y ahora! Por supuesto, sabes que quiero decir que se está realizando a travĂ©s de nuestra asociaciĂłn Living Waters, pero es más que eso.

I know that it is hard to believe that heaven and earth are fading away and being made new, but I truly believe that it is. Maybe not in a total sense. Maybe not yet in a global sense, but it is definitely happening in a cosmic sense.
Sé que es difícil creer que el cielo y la tierra se desvanezcan y se renueven, pero realmente creo que sí, eso es. Tal vez no en un sentido total. Tal vez aún no en un sentido global, pero definitivamente está sucediendo en un sentido cósmico.

It has been going on for a long time, but for me it started two years ago when I came to meet you for the first time. We talked about the possibility of a Living Waters installation, and I confess to you before God that I did not think it was possible.
Esto ha estado ocurriendo durante mucho tiempo, pero para mí comenzó hace dos años cuando vine a encontrarles por primera vez. Hablamos sobre la posibilidad de una instalación de Aguas Vivas, y les confieso ante Dios que no creí que fuera posible.

I knew that our small congregation in Lafayette and your small congregation in Sabanilla did not have the resources to make this happen.
Sabía que nuestra pequeña congregación en Lafayette y su pequeña congregación en Sabanilla no tenían recursos suficientes para hacer que esto sucediera.

There was a well to be dug and materials to find and money to be raised…
HabĂ­a que cavar un pozo y buscar materiales y recaudar dinero ...

And God moved heaven and earth and opened a way where there was no way, and here we are today!
Y Dios moviĂł el cielo y la tierra y abriĂł un camino donde no habĂ­a camino, ¡y aquĂ­ estamos hoy!

I want you to know that it is very important to me to say that this is not a “mission trip” or a “mission project” or even a “Living Waters Installation Project.”
Quiero que sepa que es muy importante para mĂ­ decir que esto no es un "viaje de misiĂłn" o un "proyecto de misiĂłn" o incluso un "Proyecto de InstalaciĂłn de Aguas Vivas".

That is because most people in the US think of a mission trip as something that we do for someone else. That turns our relationship with you into charity, and it creates an imbalance of power between “us” and “you.” This is very bad theology because there is no “us” apart from you! There is only us, and we are in this together.
Para la mayorĂ­a de las personas en los EE. UU., las palabras “un viaje de misiĂłn” significan es algo que hacemos por los otros. Eso convierte nuestra relaciĂłn con ustedes en caridad, y crea un desequilibrio de poder entre "nosotros" y "ustedes". ¡Esta es una muy mala teologĂ­a, porque no hay "nosotros" separados de ustedes! Solo estamos todos nosotros, y estamos en esto juntos.

Believe it or not, I even (very lovingly and respectfully) corrected my own mother when she asked about our plans for our mission trip.
Lo crean o no, incluso (con mucho cariño y respeto) corregĂ­ a mi propia madre cuando preguntĂł por nuestros planes para nuestro “viaje misionero”.

I said to her, “No, Mother, this is not a mission project. We are going to support our brothers and sisters in fulfilling their mission to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are going to support the local initiative of the people of the Presbyterian Church in Sabanilla because we love them.”
Le dije: “No, madre, esto no es un “proyecto de misiĂłn”. Vamos a apoyar a nuestros hermanos y hermanas en el cumplimiento de su misiĂłn de proclamar el evangelio de Jesucristo. Vamos a apoyar la iniciativa local de la gente de la Iglesia Presbiteriana en Sabanilla, porque los amamos ".

She liked that. Most people like to hear that what we are doing here together is a partnership. Each of us brings gifts and skills together, but God is the source of it all. God is the one who has conspired to bring about the resources so that people will come to this place and be given life and love and grace and mercy and hope!
A ella le gustĂł eso. A la mayorĂ­a de las personas les gusta escuchar que lo que estamos haciendo aquĂ­ juntos no es una “misiĂłn” sino una asociaciĂłn. Cada uno de nosotros trae dones y habilidades, pero Dios es la fuente de todo. Dios es el que ha conspirado para obtener los recursos, para que la gente venga a este lugar y reciba vida, amor, gracia, misericordia y esperanza.
The sign that tells us that the Kingdom of God has come near is the river of life. The water that flows from our partnership is simply a by-product from the presence of God. It is a clear and tangible proof that God is in our midst, and that one day everything will be made new.
La señal que nos dice que el Reino de Dios se ha acercado es el río de la vida. El agua que fluye de nuestra asociación es simplemente un subproducto de la presencia de Dios. Es una prueba clara y tangible de que Dios está entre nosotros y que un día todo se hará nuevo.

Of course, there is still much in the world that is broken. Of course, we will have to maintain this system until such a time as God provides a new and better way. We must also maintain our relationships and remember that we are more than partners in a project.
Por supuesto que todavía hay mucho en el mundo que está roto. Por supuesto, tendremos que mantener este sistema hasta que Dios proporcione una manera nueva y mejor. También debemos mantener nuestras relaciones y recordar que somos más que socios en un proyecto.
You are my people, and I am yours. First Presbyterian in Lafayette and Presbyteriana Iglesia en Cuba are united as one church in Christ, and yet we have beloved brothers and sisters in Baton Rouge and Texas and New Jersey and even more throughout the world. For we are the body of Christ, and individually members of it.
Ustedes son mi pueblo, y yo soy suyo. First Presbyterian en Lafayette y la Igelsia Presbiteriana de Sabanilla están unidos como una sola iglesia en Cristo, y sin embargo, tenemos amados hermanos y hermanas en Baton Rouge, Texas, Minnesota y New Jersey, e incluso más en todo el mundo. Porque somos el cuerpo de Cristo, y somos miembros individuales de él.
While I am with you I will be wearing this hat to protect me from the sun. I am a fair skinned man from the US, you know. Before I go, I’m going to get the Sabanilla water team to sign their names on my hat, so that I can take them with me in spirit.
Mientras esté contigo, usaré este sombrero para protegerme del sol. Soy un hombre de piel clara de los Estados Unidos, ya saben. Antes de irme, voy a pedir al equipo de agua de Sabanilla que firmen sus nombres en mi sombrero, para poder llevarlos conmigo en espíritu.

I will add it to a display that we have at the church in Lafayette. The names are important because they will remind us that this was not a project that First Presbyterian did for Presbyteriana Iglesia. Instead, it is something that we did together as a result of our relationship as members of the Body of Christ. The names will remind us that our relationship with you as people is the most important part of this experience.
Lo agregaré a una pantalla que tenemos en la iglesia en Lafayette. Los nombres son importantes, porque nos recordarán que este no fue un proyecto que hizo First Presbyterian para la Iglesia Presbiteriana aquí en Sabanilla. En cambio, es algo que hicimos juntos como resultado de nuestra relación como miembros del Cuerpo de Cristo. Los nombres nos recordarán que nuestra relación con usted como personas es la parte más importante de esta experiencia.

The names on the hat will serve as a reminder of the overlapping of heaven and earth that we experience when we fulfill Christ’s call to proclaim grace and mercy and hope and peace.
Los nombres en el sombrero servirán como un recordatorio de la superposición del cielo y la tierra que experimentamos cuando cumplimos con el llamado de Cristo a proclamar gracia y misericordia y esperanza y paz.

There is so much that separates us, and I grieve the sin that is intertwined in our political relationships. My grief over our sin is why this partnership gives me so much hope. It gives me hope to know that while we are separated by oceans and ideologies, we are united by God’s grace!
Hay tanto que nos separa, y lamento el pecado que se entrelaze en nuestras relaciones polĂ­ticas. Mi dolor por nuestro pecado es la razĂłn por la que esta asociaciĂłn me da tanta esperanza. Me da la esperanza de saber que, si bien estemos separados por ocĂ©anos e ideologĂ­as, ¡estamos unidos por la gracia de Dios!

It gives me hope, because anytime someone accuses me of doing mission work in Cuba I can tell them about your faith and your witness and how you have prepared me to go back to the USA as a missionary from the Presbyteriana Iglesia en Sabanilla!
Me da esperanza, porque cada vez que alguien me acusa de hacer un trabajo “misionero” en Cuba, puedo contarles sobre su fe y su testimonio y cĂłmo me han preparado para regresar a los Estados Unidos como misionero de la Iglesia Presbiteriana en Sabanilla.

As a first step on the journey, I would like your Pastor, Beidy, to be the first signature on my hat.
Como primer paso en el viaje, quisiera que su Pastor, Beidy, sea la primera firma en mi sombrero.

[Beidy signs hat]

Now let us be one in Spirit. Let us remember in our doubt and frustration that God is the Alpha and the Omega. We are responsible to be faithful with the gifts we’ve been given together, and we have good reason to hope that clean, life-giving water will flow from this place. The base of it all is our relationship in Christ, and all that we will do from this point forward is an act of thanksgiving for the grace and mercy we have received.
Ahora seamos uno en espĂ­ritu. Recordemos en nuestra duda y frustraciĂłn que Dios es el Alfa y la Omega. Somos responsables de ser fieles con los regalos que hemos recibido juntos, y tenemos buenas razones para esperar que el agua limpia que de vida fluya de este lugar. La base de todo esto es nuestra relaciĂłn en Cristo, y todo lo que haremos a partir de este punto en adelante es un acto de agradecimiento por la gracia y la misericordia que hemos recibido.

For the grace and mercy of God…
Por la gracia y la misericordia de Dios …
For the experience of God’s active presence through our relationships this week…
Por la experiencia de la presencia activa de Dios a travĂ©s de nuestras relaciones esta semana …

For the presence of Christ in our midst as we prepare each other for life in the Kingdom of God..
Por la presencia de Cristo en nuestro medio mientras nos preparamos para la vida en el Reino de Dios.

All thanks and praise be to God, now and always. Amen!
Todas las gracias y alabanzas sean para Dios, ahora y siempre. ¡AmĂ©n!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they