Skip to main content

Lost It


 – The Rev. Zach Sasser
I want to start with a little game today. Don’t worry though, you don’t have to do or say anything out loud. I’m just going to give you some categories, and I want you to think very honestly and sincerely about the first word that comes to mind. I don’t want you to say it. I just want you to think about it. This is between you and God.
Christians are ________.  Muslims are ________. Latinos are ________. Black people are _______. White people are ________. Immigrants are ________. God is ________.
What you thought of is between you and God, but I will confess to you that my initial responses to these categories of people were a little challenging at first. They were challenging because my brain – and I’ll bet many of yours as well – has had a lot of conditioning through the years that results in biased assumptions of others.
You may not have had to sort through those biases just now, because you’re in church. Hopefully, your default position in church is to think of others as children of God, all equal in God’s sight, but that’s not the way we act and think outside of these walls. At least, that’s not the way the world that we participate in outside of these walls acts.
We’ve all grown up with these divisions. We used to talk about “isms,” you know, racism and sexism. Those were the biggies. In seminary, we even talked about “age-ism,” discrimination against the old or the very young. Maybe it was just that I had never heard of it before, but I also remember talking about “oppression” for the first time in seminary.
It was a new idea to me that there might be those in our nation that are willfully denied certain rights and privileges that others have. Not only that, but the idea that our actions as a nation has caused, and still does, oppressive conditions in other countries. Then that led to a discussion about the way in which those who are oppressing others are limited through the act of oppression. Neither the oppressed nor the oppressor are able to be fully human due to the fact that each is being limited through relationships that depended on inequality.
Now it seems that I hear people talking about rights. I hear about the pink tax on women’s products and unequal pay. I hear about service providers that refuse service to those who are gay. I hear about those that cry out because giving rights to someone else feels like having their own taken away! I hear these things from my Christian brothers and sisters, and I wonder the same thing that I bet some of you are wondering right now. What does this have to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and particularly our readings today?
Well, unfortunately, nothing. By “nothing” I mean that the justifications that we give ourselves to feel be uninvolved in the oppression of migrant workers; or the reality that there is unequal pay for women; or the fact that our state has the highest incarceration rate, the greatest suppression of voter rights for those who have been in prison, and an economic system that gives away more revenue than it gets from the corporations that use our resources for their gain to the great detriment of our communities are all things that have nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I know that some of you don’t like it when I say things like this. I know that some of you don’t like it when I don’t say things like this. The elephant in the room is that Jesus does not appear to be involved in any of these things.
He does not appear to be involved in these things, because none of these things are connected or reflected in the idea that all might be one. That is what he prayed for. This whole “cu-cu-ca-choo Come together over me” prayer reflected more than a hope or an ideal. Nor was it an anxious, unsure prayer in the garden. This was the prayer of someone who prayed down deep – with every fiber of his being – under the expectation that we might all tap into the sense that God is active and present in all things.
Out of this deep abiding sense of God’s presence, a tradition emerged that expected healing to come to the nations through the river of life and the tree of the fruit of life.
The healing of the nations is part of what we have to look forward to as people of faith. Hope in the healing of all nations is a dangerous hope, but it is real and good and true. It’s a hope that requires us to recognize the humanity of others before their nationality, in fact before even our own!
It’s a hope grounded in the Messiah, the son of God, who was called to sacrificial love and tells us that we are loved by God in the same way. Yes, the sacrifice for our sin has been made. Yes, the love we have received will call us to respond sacrificially. That means letting go of territory and rank. It means seeking a vision of our full humanity by seeking to see others as fully human, beyond categories, yet not in denial of their unique and beautiful differences.
Becoming fully human together through the tender mercy of God is where all this stuff connects with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. John’s version of it tells us again and again about the unity of God and Jesus, and through that union invites us to be united as well.
I’m pretty sure I preach about that a lot, but I have to say that I experienced it in a whole new light a few weeks ago in Cuba. It’s not because we did something for them, because we didn’t actually do something for them. We did something with them. We did something with them and with partners from across the nation.
When all of our efforts came together and we saw the joy of the teachers and the pride of the operators and the hope expressed by their community, I had a profound sense of standing squarely in the midst of The Kingdom of God.
On the day before the final system check I remember being full of joy – just right up to the brim – but nothing could compare to what came next. I was looking over the system, and I saw that our driver, Orestez, was drinking from a bottle with a Myers Park Presbyterian Church logo on it.
None of you know this, but there’s a minister at Myers Park who was a seminary intern at my home church when I started out in youth ministry. She’s someone that God has placed in my life over and over in times of distress and times of joy, and it always confirms that I’m on the right path. Honestly, I was a bit shaken up by it, but I took it as a sign that we are all bound in the same gracious love that moves us from suffering to joy and even into self-offering over and over again.
The next day the water system was finally ready. We decided that Mercedis, the member who came to the states in 2000 to establish our covenant should have the first taste. She is 89, and she has been cooking meals for the “elderly” in her community for the past 25+/- years. We toasted. We tasted. We sang, “Dios está aquí.” Then I offered to pray, and just as I was asking our translator to translate for me Mercedes had already started.
You want to talk about somebody praying with every fiber of their being? Whew! She prayed with thanksgiving. She prayed for God’s blessing. She prayed for healing and health so that they might be better people. Let me tell you when an 89-year-old woman who lives in poverty but still takes care of others recognizes that she could still be a better person… that’s humbling.
Between that, and the water bottle, and a thousand other stories yet to be told, when it was time to go, I just told everybody to get on the bus before I lost control and went into a full sobbing ugly cry. I mean I didn’t want them to think I’d totally lost it, but I kind of wonder if I shouldn’t have.
In some ways, I kind of did lose it. I lost the pretense of thinking the Kingdom of God is gold and shiny; or that it looked more like what we already have only nicer; or that it’s really far off and unattainable. I lost the belief that language separates us. I lost the sense of them and us.

That’s the loss that this table invites us into today. It invites us to celebrate the risky hope of being the Body of Christ that is broken for the world. So, let all who thirst for the Kingdom that is both present and yet to come; let all who thirst and hunger for righteousness; let all who long for the healing of the nations above and beyond nationalism; let all who thirst come. For even as we pray, “Come, Lord Jesus.” His very real presence is in our midst, even here, even now. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they