Skip to main content

Rooted in Faith


Today’s passages are all about expressions of faith centered on prayer, and how much more faithful can you get than the prayer of Jesus? It’s true. These are the words we say because we believe they are the essential words of one who follows in the way of Jesus. Of course, we don’t always think about what the words mean. Sometimes we say the prayer because we believe that we are supposed to, and not because we really think, feel, and believe the words to be accurate expressions of our faith.

I’m not trying to pick on anyone. I’m as guilty as anyone about this. The first time I realized it was a while back when I was learning to use a labyrinth as a spiritual practice. I don’t know if you’ve ever used a labyrinth, but it’s basically a walking prayer. It’s not a maze. It’s a continuous path. I said “learning to use”, because most people have to try them out a few times before it becomes meaningful. They had one set up at triennium in a room with lots of other spiritual exercises – diaries, prayer collages, etc. – and one of the youth from our delegation came up to me afterward and said, “that’s the first time I’ve gotten it to work.”

By that, she meant that it became a vehicle to experience God’s active presence. Well, one of the first times I tried to get a labyrinth to work for me, I tried to recite the Lord’s Prayer while I walked. I quickly realized two things. The first was that it’s hard to say something by yourself that you are used to saying in a group. The second is that I had never really thought about what those words meant.

I want us to talk about that a bit today, but not from the sense of defining the words. I want us to talk about the way the words guide us into prayer, and what prayer is really all about, to begin with. What is the purpose of prayer, anyway? Let’s start there. I’d like to start by hearing from you. Tell me what you believe prayer is, and why do we do it? 

[Answers given included: talking to God, aligning yourself with God, and becoming open to God's presence.]

Those are great answers! At its core, prayer is our attempt to communicate with God. There are many forms and reasons for prayer, but the most basic reason for prayer is to communicate with God. Kierkegaard has been noted as saying, “The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.” So the root of prayer is faith in God.

Paul’s letter to the church in Colossae reminds us of this. As noted earlier this passage was also the primary scripture for the theme for Camp Agape’s this year – rooted. I have to tell you that it was truly amazing to watch a few hundred campers and adults form Christian community to laugh and play and serve and explore what it meant to be rooted in faith. Most of you know I was a counselor to a group of Sr. High boys. We stayed in a log cabin together for 7 days. 
There were unique smells and lots of “boy humor” that week, but probably one of the most beautiful things happened the first night. In the midst of bravado and establishing territory, I told them that we needed to know what we need from each other in order to get along. One boy opened up about a recent break-up. Another talked about some issues at home. Another talked about having explosive anger issues. Boom. Right there the Kingdom became the kin-dom and we were forged as brothers in Christ as we prayed for and with one another.

What I saw in that place wasn’t just a bunch of people playing games or being indoctrinated or working out personal issues, although I’m sure all that was going on. What I saw was discipleship in action. Just as they were working out their sense of God’s presence, so are we, and so were the disciples long ago, when they said, “Lord, teach us to pray like John taught his disciples.”

We have no record of how John’s disciples prayed, but obviously, Rabi John taught some means of prayer that seemed effective to them. Obviously, there was something about John’s method of prayer that identified his disciples and also seemed to be a good way to acknowledge the activity of God. That tells us at least two things about this prayer: it was personal, and it was a public witness to their faith. 

So, Jesus gave his disciples a prayer. It’s hard not to imagine him taking a deep, parental breath before responding. “OK,” I can hear him say, “Here are the essential things to pray about. When you pray, pray about these things.” Have you ever thought about it that way before?

If you haven’t – or even if you have – I’ve asked Megan and Sarah to help me illustrate what it might be like to pray this way.  [I do not know the source of this skit, and I have edited it a few times. It should not be reproduced unless for use in a similar setting or for teaching purposes.]

Lord’s Prayer Skit: Author Unknown

Person: (talking to group of people) hey y’all, I’ll catch up later. I have to go do something real quick. It’’ll only take a sec……(kneels) ‘‘Our father who art in heaven……’’
God: "yes?"
Person: don’t interrupt me. I’m praying.
God: But you called me
Person: Called you? I didn’t call you. I’m praying. ‘‘Our father who art in heaven……’’
God: There you did it again.
Person: Did what?
God: Called me. You said ‘‘Our father who art in heaven.’’ Well, here I am. What’s on your mind?
Person: But I didn’t mean anything by it. I was, just, you know, saying my prayers for the day. I always say the Lord’s Prayer. It makes me feel good, kind of like a duty done.
God: All right, go on.
Person: "Hallowed be thy name……"
God: Hold it. What do you mean by that?
Person: By what?
God: By ‘‘hallowed be thy name’’?
Person: it means……it means……Good Grief! I don’t know what it means! How should I know? It’s just a part of the prayer……By the way……. what does it mean?
God: It means honored, holy, and wonderful.
Person: Hey, that makes sense. I’ve never thought about what ‘hallowed’ meant before. ‘‘Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven’’.
God: Do you really mean that?
Person: Umm…… sure, why not?
God: What are you doing about it?
Person: Doing? Nothing I guess. I just think it would be cool if you got control of things down here like you have up there.
God: Have I got control of you?
Person: Well, I go to church.
God: That isn’t what I asked you. What about your temper? You’ve really got a problem there, you know. And what about the way you spend your money-all on yourself.
Person: Stop picking on me! I’m just as good as those other people in church!
God: Excuse me, I thought you were praying for my will to be done. If that’s to happen, it has to start with the people who are praying for it. Like you, for example.
Person: Oh, all right. I guess I do have a few imperfections. Now that you mention it, I could probably name some more.
God: So could I.
Person: I haven’t thought about it very much, but I would really like to cut out some of those things.
God: Good now we’re getting somewhere. We’ll work together, you and I. Some victories can truly be won. I’m proud of you.
Person: Thanks. Well look Lord, I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually does. ‘‘Give us this day, out daily bread.’’
God: About that bread, don’t you eat more than your fair share while others go hungry.
Person: Hey! Wait a minute! What is this, ‘‘Criticize me day?” Here I was doing my religious duty, and all of a sudden you break in and remind me of all my imperfections. It’s not like I’m not already thinking of them.
God: Prayer is a dangerous thing. You could end up changed, you know. That’s what I’m trying to get across to you. You called me, and here I am. It’s too late to stop now. Keep praying, I’m interested in the next part of your prayer……(pause) Well, go on.
Person: I-I’m scared to.
God: Scared? Of what?
Person: I know what you’ll say.
God: Try me and see.
Person: ‘‘Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.’’
God: What about Anne?
Person: See? I KNEW you were going to bring her up! Why, Lord, she’s told lies about me. She’s spread stories about my family. Things on the internet never go away, you know. Plus, she’s never paid back the money that she owes me! I’ve sworn to get back at her!
God: But your prayer? What about your prayer?
Person: I didn’t mean it.
God: Well, at least your admitting it. But it’s not much fun carrying that load of bitterness around, is it?
Person: No, but I’ll feel better as soon as I get even, and I’ve got plans for her! She’ll wish she never did that to me.
God: You won’t feel any better. You’ll feel worse. Revenge isn’t sweet. Think of how unhappy you already are. But I can change all that.
Person: You can? How?
God: Forgive Anne as I have forgiven you. Then the hate and sin will be Anne’s problem, not yours. You will have settled your heart.
Person: Oh, your right……You always are. And more than I want to get revenge on Ann, I want to be right with you……(pause and a sigh) All right. All right. I forgive her. Help her to find the right road in life, Lord. She’s bound to be awfully miserable, now that I think about it. Anybody who goes around doing the things she does to others has to be out of it. Some way, some how, show her the right way.
God: There now! How do you feel?
Person: Hmm. Well, not bad. Not bad at all. If fact, I feel pretty great! You know, I don’t think I’ll have to go to bed uptight tonight for the first time since I can remember. Maybe I won’t be as tired from now on because I’m not getting enough rest.
God: You’re not through with your prayer. Go on.
Person: Oh, all right. ‘‘And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.’’
God: Good! Good! I’ll do just that. Just don’t put yourself in a place where you can be tempted.
Person: What do you mean by that?
God: Two words: Binge watching. At least, don’t use all the great stories I’ve inspired others to tell as a way to deny the one I’ve created you to tell. Also, when you are on social media, remember that one of my children is on the other end of your comment or post. The internet is one of my best ideas for connecting humanity, but it’s also something people use to disconnect themselves from each other and from me. Regardless of all that, just ask yourself if you are in a space or a situation that helps or hinders you from experiencing or expressing my love. And remember, my love isn’t an after thought. It’s the first thought.
Person: Ok……. I don’t understand the last part.
God: Sure you do. You’ve done a lot of times. You get caught in a bad situation, you get in trouble, and then you come running for me. "Lord, please help me out of this mess and I promise you I’ll never do it again." You remember some of those bargains you tried to make with me?
Person: Yes, and I’m ashamed, Lord. I really am.
God: Which bargain are you remembering?
Person: Well... it was that time I got caught in a lie. You know which one... the big one. I never expected others to be hurt by my dishonesty. I never expected it to hurt me so much to hurt others like that. Then when everyone turned on me I prayed to you, “Lord, help me fix this! I’ll never be dishonest again! I’ll pray your prayer every day until it’s fixed.”
God: Have you done all that? Is it fixed?
Person: Well, sort of. I mean, I don’t know anyone who is 100% honest all the time. I also don’t know if I can fix what’s broken between me and Maria. I’m sorry, Lord, I really am. Up until now I thought that if I just prayed the Lord’s Prayer everyday, that everything would work itself out. I didn’t know that I had a part to play, or that my part could just as easily be for good or for evil.
God: Sounds like we’re making progress. Go ahead and finish your prayer.
Person: ‘‘For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever.’’ Amen
God: Do you know what will bring me glory? What will really make me happy?
Person: No, but I would like to. Is this prayer a part of that? I think I’ve been saying this prayer all wrong. Really, this time it has been more like a conversation. Now that we’ve had this chat, I can see that following you isn’t just about going through the motions. It’s as much about listening as it is about asking. I think I want to do that more! I want to find out more about how to be who you created me to be. I want to learn how to tell the story you created me to tell.
God: You just answered the question.
Person: I did?
God: Yes! The thing brings me glory is when people recognize that we have a story to tell together! It brings me glory when you recognize the things that keep you from seeing that I am active and present and calling you to step beyond your sins – and the sins of others – into a world where people are cared for; where the basic needs of bread and justice and forgiveness are provided every day.
Person: That’s what the Kingdom looks like?
God: That’s what the Kingdom is like. Now, why don’t you go help others see it. Maybe start with Anne, or Maria, or just with someone who needs some bread?
Person: I...I’ll try.
God: With my help, you will do more than try. Don’t worry. I’ll be with you, every step of the way.

I'll be with you every step of the way. What if prayer was really like that? Would you pray if you thought God was really going to answer? Maybe sometimes we don’t pray because we expect the opposite – that God isn’t listening. In fact, most of us only pray when we run a red light, or when things don’t go our way, or when there just doesn’t seem to be another option. How often do we hear people say the name of Christ only when frustrated or angry? Believe it or not, there was a time when I caught myself doing this. I realized I was saying, “O Lord” way too casually, so I turned it into an opportunity for prayer. “O Lord, help us understand. O Lord, why did I do that…again?”

You see, when we are rooted in faith, prayer really does become like an ongoing conversation with God. Prayer becomes a way to assure us of God’s active presence in a very personal way, but if we are praying in the way of Jesus, prayer has to find expression in our public lives as well. 

Jesus, ever the storyteller, immediately demonstrates the need for public witness by the story of the person bothered at the most inconvenient time possible – in the middle of the night. Have you ever been wakened in the middle of the night like that? It’s not fun.

Some years back a friend came to my door around 2 a.m. Admittedly I was angry. I was also half asleep, but even so, I could tell something was wrong. He stood too still. His facial expression was too flat. His skin was kind of pale. Turns out he had just witnessed a fatal car crash and administered care to people on the scene before the first responders got there. He didn’t know where to go or how to handle it. His car just ended up at my house. I let him in and got him set up on the couch. After some sleep, he was in a better state of mind. 

Turns out the essentials of care are what matter most, and Jesus pushes the point further with his question about children and bread and stones. The real kicker here is that we are the ones with the most basic need. That’s why he tells us to ask and expect the Spirit to respond. We are the person in the night banging on a door. We are the child dependent on the grace of God.

The prayer of Jesus begins with the reminder that God is God and we are not, and everything else is a supplication that starts with the coming of the kin-dom of God – the recognition that we are all of God! That’s because our greatest needs – which are also our essential needs – are not met individually. They are met collectively, in community.

That’s why the Psalmist cries out for the salvation and restoration of Jacob. Jacob was long gone at that point! Jacob was a person, yes, but Jacob became a people that God used to demonstrate what the kin-dom is all about. It isn’t about conquering territory or submitting all of creation under human will. It is about love and faithfulness meeting as two friends might meet up at church or camp or any space that becomes better by the presence of love and the expectation of more love. It is about righteousness and peace expressing an intimate embrace as only those bound by love can do.

Now, if that language is a little too flowery for you, I saw an example of it in action at the library yesterday. They hosted a “Fix It Cafe” where people brought in bikes and appliances and jewelry and housewares and other things that could have just as easily ended up in a landfill. Volunteers spent hours educating people and repairing things and tending to the stories and the lives that are connected to them. Some of the gathered community where people experiencing homelessness. Some were people from the nicest neighborhoods in town.

Their common experience was one of care for each other and care for the earth. Some were followers of Jesus. Some were not. All of it looked like a prayer to me, but I often see things that way. I think the most important thing is to remember that if we are grounded in our faith in Jesus, then we are also growing in that same faith. As we grow we must remember what we’ve been taught, including a way to pray that is very personal but not particularly private. 

That same God is always moving us toward greater and greater unity in private lives of devotion and public spaces like camps and libraries, and maybe even here, maybe even now. At least that is what I pray for when I pray as a follower of Jesus. So, let all God’s people say, “Amen!”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they