Skip to main content

Scarcity and Abundance

If I were a betting man, I would bet that if you could only miss one Sunday out of the entire year it would be the Sunday that the pastor delivers the annual “stewardship sermon.” Well, don’t worry. You’re not alone. I don’t like it either.

It’s funny how talking about money in church can make us uncomfortable, even though that was one of Jesus’s favorite topics. In fact, it seems like most Christian churches these days would much rather talk about the stuff that Jesus did not really talk about. You know what I mean – the pelvic sins. The author of the Letter to the Hebrews manages to cover sex and money in our reading today, so maybe we can just deal with both topics at once, right?

Maybe not. We definitely need to talk about money, though, and just saying that raises tension in the room. Money is deeply personal, and I saw an article the other day that I think describes why. The author said, “We don’t pay for things with our money. We pay for them with hours of our lives spent to get the money to pay for things.”

What we get for those “hours of our lives” affects our sense of self-worth, and when someone else tells us how to spend it we get a little defensive. When that someone is wearing a collar, well it’s pretty hard to communicate at all without some feelings of guilt and shame being expressed either intentionally or unintentionally. As for me, I will confess to you now that I make it a point not to know what our members and visitors give. I will also confess that when I asked Chuck to show me some data on giving trends, he did show me what members have pledged over the last five years. I still do not know what was given, and frankly, I’ve forgotten who pledged what.

Probably the most surprising thing for me was to find out that my family is a little above average in pledging. I’ll also confess to you that we have not always fulfilled our pledge, because we have had unanticipated expenses. Over the last two years, we’ve had a couple of medical procedures and a roof that had to be replaced. One of our AC units has been out for over two years, but hey, that’s life in south Louisiana!

I tell you all of this as a way to say that we all have struggles and God knows it. At the same time, we have a special opportunity to proclaim God’s grace together in a way that may reach those that others neglect. That’s the beauty of a growing church. We have a different energy than larger congregations. We are not as self-sufficient. We have to work through partnerships and relationships, and that requires intimacy and vulnerability.

So, let’s be vulnerable for a minute. I’m going to have the ushers pass out a chart that I want us to talk about. In this chart, you see several groups of three columns. This represents the giving trend of the congregation over the last several years. Immediately you will notice that the column for “pledged giving” has decreased over the last few years. This is primarily due to older members who have died, although there are a few members that either moved or stopped attending for their own personal reasons.

You’ll also note that the “other” column increased in 2016; that was the last time we raised our fees for ULL students who park with us. Presently the feeling is that we can’t raise it any higher. The last column is “loose plate.” It has come up some in the last few years, but not enough to compensate for other losses. The long and the short of it is that we’ve been on a deficit budget for the last three years. Most of you should know this from our Rally Day breakfast and the email that followed it. If you have questions, please talk to Chuck about it.

What I want you to do right now is set that aside and think with me a minute about how all of this connects with our scriptures. What I want you to think about is how the opportunity of being the church connects with the ideas of scarcity and abundance. These two words are important because they impact our understanding of God. They impact the way that we relate to one another, and they impact our ability to love and be loved.

First let’s deal with the economic reality of scarcity. Now, I’m no accountant, but even I know that scarcity is when you don’t have the resources to pay for your expenses. When that happens you have two options. You either cut expenses or increase revenue, right? In our case, that means we either have to increase membership and member giving or cut staff expenses. That is unless we come up with another way to generate income without losing our sense of who we are as a church. These are issues that our committees and our Session will be talking about in the coming year. If you have ideas and want to be a part of those conversations, let me know. I’ll help you with that.

OK, so that’s the institutional side of things. What about scarcity and abundance as belief systems? I just said that those two words impact what you believe about God, how we relate to others, and how we are able to love and be loved. So, here’s where I see that in scripture.

Jesus looked up when the wealthy gave their offerings. That was probably because, as some scholars have noted, the treasury had a large funnel-shaped opening. When the wealthy put their offering in it must have sounded like one of those coin-sorting machines at the grocery store!  When the widow put in three coins, the contrast must have been terribly obvious.

Everyone knew that the wealthy were the ones with the abundant resources, and the belief of the time was that God had particularly blessed them. Jesus immediately reframed the experience to demonstrate the way that things work in the kin-dom (family) of God. The economy in the kingdom of God is not based on wealth and power and status. It is based on grace and mercy and generosity of the heart. Jesus knew this and he called out the wealthy for giving without risk in a way that called attention to their wealth, and he praised the poor widow who made what any of us would probably call a very bad life choice. Then Jesus went a bit further, as he often did, and told them that their giving didn’t really matter in the long run.

As hard as that is to hear, it reminds me of a great story by Fred Craddock, a renowned preacher and author, and teacher. He once told the story of his first church which was located in a growing area of a rural town in Tennessee. As the area grew the church decided that those that came to build could only be members if they owned property in the area. Years later he returned to the area, only to find that the church had closed. The building was purchased and reopened as a BBQ restaurant.  As he and his wife enjoyed a good meal, he noticed the diversity of the room which included people of every walk of life. He looked at his wife and he said, “It’s a good thing this isn’t a church anymore. If it was, most of these people wouldn’t be welcomed in here like they are now!”

I tell that as a cautionary tale, knowing that in two weeks we will be having some pretty good BBQ after church, and I’m pretty sure that everyone is welcome to join. In the meantime, we have some things to think about. We need to think about what kind of community we are building here. Who is truly welcome? How does our welcome of the stranger shape us, form us, and even redeem the land on which we stand?

According to Jeremiah, redeeming the land requires investment in what God is doing. His purchase of land was a recognition that the land, the earth and everything on it, was God’s. His cousin was selling the land because the people that Jeremiah said would conquer them were conquering them. Yet Jeremiah bought it. Jeremiah bought it, but not because it was a sound investment. He bought it to demonstrate that God’s presence is active in chaos, and the land would eventually be a way to show God’s faithfulness in all things.

In the same way, the Letter to the Hebrews reminds us that investing in what God is doing isn’t just about our cash. If anything that’s an afterthought. Investing in what God is doing requires empathy and fidelity. Where have we heard that before? Love your Lord your God with all of your mind, body, and soul; and love your neighbor as yourself. You can find examples of faithfulness all through the Bible, but I think the point our reading makes is about intimacy.

Take care of each other, but don’t forget to offer the same care for strangers – they bring messages from God. Suffer with those that suffer, but don’t forget to pay attention to your closest and most intimate relationships – they are also gifts from God. All of this is given to us because bad stuff is still going to happen.

Bad stuff doesn’t disprove God. If anything it shows us who we can count on, and the greatest resource – the most abundant resource – is always the active, loving presence of God. Abundance is not found in the things we can buy. It’s not described by the wealth we can build up. It’s not demonstrated in the buildings we can maintain or the programs we generate.

Abundance is only found in sacrificial giving and space it creates for grace and mercy and love. These are things that we cannot buy. Grace (undeserved favor) and mercy (undeserved forgiveness) and love (which can’t be earned) are the currency of our actions and the character of our relationships as people who follow God. What we do with our money matters because it demonstrates who we are and how we love.

What you must decide, and so must I, is whether you are ready to demonstrate abundance the way the widow did. I’m not suggesting that you bring everything you own to church next Sunday. I’m saying that we have to realize that everything already belongs to God, and we have each been entrusted to care for some of it. What we have to decide is how to use it in ways that reflect the grace and mercy and love that we have received.

As I’ve heard it said before, “It’s just that simple, and it’s just that hard.” Yet with God’s help, with our love for one another and the witness of strangers to guide us on our way, “all shall be well, and all shall be well, and every manner of thing shall be well.”  Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they