Skip to main content

Courage


What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone.
Every Sunday morning I am awakened by the incomparable Dionne Warwick singing those words. It is one of the ways that I remind myself about the tasks ahead. You might ask why I don’t have that reminder set for every day. That’s because, on most other days, I am awakened by Dave Matthews, screaming, “Pick me up, love, every day!”
You might find it odd that I feel the need to be reminded so blatantly and so often that I am bolstered, carried, and even dragged out of bed by love, but it is very true. You may find it hard to believe that I have to remind myself every Sunday that the heart of what I am called to do is to answer the greatest need in the world by proclaiming that we are, in fact, loved, but it is very true.
While I’d like to say that the world needs love now more than ever, a longer view of human history says that the need never really changes. Somehow, we seem to think that there will come a time in which we have loved enough, and everyone will just get along. Somehow, we reach points along the way where we feel like we have been there and done that, and all we have to do moving forward is try our best to be good, decent humans. The rest can sort itself out, as long as I am responsible and do my best not to harm anyone else.
How different our lives would be if Joseph had taken that position. How very different our Biblical story would be if Joseph had followed through on his resolution to dismiss Mary quietly and go about his business. The child was not his. He was within his rights to dismiss her. In fact, he was doing her a favor! If he had said anything publicly, she might have been stoned to death – and the child along with her. It could still happen – even with a quiet dismissal – but he would still be seen as a righteous man. 
The story continues that he was visited in a dream by an angel and convinced that Mary’s pregnancy was of God’s doing, and the child would be the one foretold to save people from sin. He would be the very presence of God with us in human form. He then awoke, and he embraced Mary as his wife.
This is a story of love, and it is a story of courage. While I admit that the thing I don’t like about this story – or at least Matthew’s version – is that it focuses on the courage and the actions of Joseph apart from Mary, I also have to admit that the poor guy really does not get much of a part in the story from this point forward. 
I’m not sure that he really needs it, because from this point forward it’s no longer his story. The story is about their family as they receive the confirmation of others that Jesus is indeed the messiah of God and the story is about what God is doing through Jesus and those who love him and follow him.
That includes you and me. We are caught up in the story of the one Paul said was attested by the prophets, proven through his resurrection, and calling those who follow him to include those who are outside of the covenant, yet beloved by God.
Now, that is a love that takes courage. It takes courage to welcome the outsider. It takes courage to recognize that even we, who seem to agree on so much, can just as easily find ourselves outside of the tents of those we suddenly disagree with. It takes courage to sit at a table and not argue an ideological point, because the need to love outweighs the need to agree. Oh, we need to love, because we simply must find a way to agree on sin and human suffering. If our ideology gets in the way of even seeing the suffering of others and the complicity of our own sin, then we may as well be causing the suffering we deplore. 
Now, I know that line of thought can be taken too far. I remember taking a group of youth on a hiking trip in Belize on an off day from our mission trip. I’d been telling them that they need to be aware of the trash that we brought from all of our individually packaged snacks. More than that, I said, “Pick up any trash that you see, or else it’s the same as leaving it there yourself.” Well, we happened to go past an area where there was a lot of tourist traffic and not enough trash cans. One of my more astute youth took great pleasure in pointing out all the trash that I was passing by. “Rev. Zach, you left that shoe.”
We could have, of course, spent the day picking up trash – in fact, we did in one village – but the reality is that it takes more than a few acts of kindness to change a system. It takes people coming together and recognizing that we are not just responsible for ourselves,
 we are “responsible selves” who are connected by God’s grace. 
It is that grace, that unearned love, that helps us wake up and sing a new song. It is that love that gives us the courage to recognize, like Joseph, that simply doing no harm doesn’t stop the vulnerable from being harmed.
There are, of course, countless examples in our past and present of those who love courageously, and it is so easy to see them as superheroes and say, “Thanks be to God for them!” Our service personnel in the military and police and firefighters are certainly wonderful examples of those who love with great courage every day, yet I wonder if we sometimes miss out on our own calling to be courageous when we focus on those whose lives are inherently dedicated to acts of bravery. 
Maybe the key is found in looking to those who seem to be outsiders like the gentiles of Paul’s time. Maybe the key to our courage is found in looking to the vulnerable and expecting God to be present in them, just as the angel helped Joseph to do.
Wherever we find the motivation, the truth is that the world needs love, and it needs it now, and it’s never going to stop. Love isn’t something we save for one Sunday or for one candle or for one person or group of people! Love can’t wait. Love is the way, for those who follow Jesus.
Bishop Michael Curry of the Church of England spoke about the type of love we need in a royal wedding not too long ago. He began by quoting the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, who once said:
"We must discover the power of love, the redemptive power of love. And when we do that, we will make of this old world a new world, for love is the only way." 
Then he went on to say:
There's power in love. Don't underestimate it. Don't… over-sentimentalize it. There's power, power in love… Imagine this tired old world where love is the way…
When love is the way, then no child will go to bed hungry in this world ever again.
When love is the way, we will let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing brook. When love is the way, poverty will become history. When love is the way, the earth will be a sanctuary. When love is the way, we will lay down our swords and shields, down by the riverside, to study war no more. When love is the way, there's plenty good room - plenty good room - for all of God's children. Because when love is the way, we actually treat each other, well... like we are actually family.

When love is the way, we know that God is the source of us all, and we are brothers and sisters, children of God. My brothers and sisters, that's a new heaven, a new earth, a new world, a new human family.”

As idealistic as that may be, I have to say, if that’s not the goal then what are we doing? If we are ok with children living in generational cycles of poverty; with a rising infant mortality rate; with private prisons profiting from the separation of families over misdemeanor offenses; with children that have lost their childhood in a complicit and dispassionate legal system; if we’re ok with suffering and sin then what’s the point? 

Maybe you feel paralyzed by the enormity of it all. I sure do, but then I remember you. I remember that God has elected to be present in the world through the church, which is the body of Christ. Then I remember that this covenanted community of people who follow Jesus do not simply wait for a candle to be lit or a special day to celebrate in order to love. 

In our lives together – and in our lives apart – we explore, we express, and we experience God’s love: courageously, openly, and honestly. We don’t always get it right, and that’s why it takes courage to love – even here and even now. As we move closer to our celebration of the birth of the one who by God’s grace gives us the courage to love, let us remember to look toward the outsider. Let us remember to expect God to be present in the vulnerable and
let us be challenged not only to be righteous but to do the right thing in every given relationship and every chance encounter.

I promise you that God is waiting like a mother with outstretched arms waiting for a toddler’s first step, and she will embrace you, comfort you, and encourage you no matter how well you step. Love is like that. It just can’t wait, and neither should we.

Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they