Skip to main content

Do Right And Right Will Follow You (2 of 4 on Ruth)


The following sermon was delivered by Jackie Cummings, a Ruling Elder in the PC(USA) and Treasurer of the Presbytery of South Louisiana.

As I started my study for today’s lesson, my mom’s voice rang out in the back of my mind. I tend to talk about my mom, Bertha Barnett, a lot when I do these things. She can quote scripture with the best of them but she also has these little "momisms" that get engrained in your brain and you realize when you are older- Ah that’s what mom meant. There was one momism that played in my mind continuously as I studied this and that is going to be our theme for today.

“Do right and right will follow you.”

Last Sunday you heard the beginning of the story of Ruth and Naomi. The loss of a son for Naomi and the faithfulness of a widowed daughter-in-law. Two ladies bound together. Did they have to be bound? No, in that time, Ruth could have returned to her family for a chance to remarry (like Naomi’s other daughter-in-law) but she chose to stay with Naomi who would have been making the journey back to her homeland alone otherwise.

I don’t know about you but I believe in the old saying that people come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime but in thinking about the roles that you play in the life of those around you, how many connections can you pinpoint that can be considered divine: people that God has brought into your life. There are plenty of instances in the Bible where that divine connection was displayed and the story of Ruth and Naomi fits perfectly. Now, Ruth had the opportunity to turn and walk away but she wanted to do what was right in her heart so she took the journey.

Naomi was a great influence on Ruth, that is evident and as we move into today’s lesson in Ruth 2 we see that influence even more. In my study for today, there are several different ways people have interpreted the first couple of scriptures. There are some interpretations that believe Ruth went out seeking Boaz, in the beginning, seeking favor. Seeking to get a husband. I cannot wrap my brain around that theory.

The first thought of Ruth was to go gleaning. You cannot make gleaning cute. To glean is to gather the leftovers or scraps that were being harvested by the official reapers. Do you know who did the gleaning- the poor? Some landowners allowed for gleaning in their fields as a mission, a way to give back but others would run them off. The gleaners were often overlooked, left behind, and found unworthy.

Ruth sought scraps and hopefully someone who give her a little more to be able to provide for herself and her mother-in-law. Reflect on that for a second. If Ruth returned to her family upon the death of her husband, would she be in this state? Probably not. That says quite a bit about her considering we all know of people that would have taken the easy road here. But that was not God’s providence for Ruth’s life. That was not what Ruth thought was right.

Enter Boaz. And this I find hilarious. He comes into the field and he asks one person, “to who does this woman belong,” referring to Ruth… and the young man ran down her life story like he followed Ruth on Facebook, Instagram or whatever kids are using today. He knew where she was from AND who she was with. Sounds like the kindness Ruth showed her mother-in-law became the talk of the town- why it was unheard of.

Based on what the head reaper shared with Boaz, he took notice. Lesson to each of us- you never know who is watching you. Be it at work or school. Remember, Boaz was family to Naomi through her husband. He knew that Ruth did not have to take on the responsibility of her mother-in-law. Boaz saw her character in that moment. He was learning the type of person she was.

One overlooked part of this story is also found in the beginning and having a background in human resources and workforce development, I have a great appreciation for the fact that the man who was in charge of the reapers mentioned that she had been on her feet from early in the morning without resting. We are going to pause on Ruth’s story right here for a second as most of us here know what that is like. To work and work for we may consider leftovers… Insert momism number 2 of the day- work as if you are working unto God and not unto man. I am not saying this to say we need to work 24/7, I mean even God rested in Genesis, right? But when you work with purpose, especially when you are walking in what God has set before you, it seems easy. Always remember, God is the giver of promotion. This young man took notice of Ruth’s work ethic but it was God’s providence that ensured Boaz heard about it as we know too many supervisors out there that will hide your work if you are making them look bad.

Ok, back to the story. Boaz began a dialogue with Ruth. He could have passed the message through the head reaper but he chose to chat with her himself. Looking at their conversations in this scripture, Boaz spoke three specific things to Ruth that I find so profound. 1) He told her not to glean in another field but to remain in his. 2) He told her if she was thirsty, that she could drink from his vessels. 3) At meal time, he offered her bread. Does any of this sound familiar….

How many bible stories have we heard where Jesus is our refuge and our shelter? How many bible stories have we heard where Jesus referred to the living water and never being thirsty? How many bible stories have we heard where Jesus was the bread of life? There is so much of God’s care for his children wrapped in these verses.

Boaz said to Ruth May the Lord reward you for your deeds, and may you have a full reward from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge!

Boaz knew there was divine intervention that their paths crossed. He wanted to ensure that Ruth remembered that even though her times were hard- her reward was coming. Can anyone relate to that message?

I know I promised you a short sermon and we are almost there but there is quite a bit to unpack considering the major players in this story as I am sure we can find a little bit of ourselves here. Not to mention, this is one of my favorite Old Testament stories especially when you look at this through the lens of connection.

Let’s break down each of the major players and roles and I would like to do so using the Gospel lesson for today because it is so fitting. Before the service started I gave three people readings for me. If you have Luke 6: 36, please stand and read for me.

Boaz

36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged;

Ruths’ gleaning didn’t start in Boaz’s fields. This story could have gone in a completely different direction but this was the path God laid out for Ruth. Boaz was merciful- he did not refuse Ruth from gleaning. He did not judge Ruth the way some would have considering her position.


Naomi

do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven;

Naomi could have condemned her other daughter-in-law for not showing the same loyalty as Ruth. Ruth disobeyed her by staying with her so she could have condemned Ruth. This one is a bit of a stretch but stay with me here. Now Naomi was a woman of faith and I could be way off base here but her words were clear in the first chapter of Ruth. Here are words from Naomi in chapter 1:

for the Almighty[e] has dealt bitterly with me.
21 I went away full,
but the Lord has brought me back empty;
why call me Naomi
when the Lord has dealt harshly with[f] me
and the Almighty[g] has brought calamity upon me?”

This sounds like the words a broken woman. How many of us in this room have lost loved ones? How many of us in this room have had to live through very tough situations where life was turned upside down? How many of us were angry at our situations? Maybe it's just me but as someone who has experience loss and grief, I know that forgiveness is never too far away.


Ruth

give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap, for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”


Times were hard for Ruth but she did what she thought was right. Ruth gave her all to taking care of her mother-in-law. And as you all progress in this study, you will learn just how much of her measure she was able to get back.

I know it is sometimes hard to push down a path where you know in your heart what you are doing is the right thing and it seems like you are met with nothing but obstacles. We have been there. But while this chapter started out with the despair of two women it ended with two women hopeful- seeing that light at the end of the tunnel.

Ruth was faithful to her mother-in-law just as she was faithful to her God and because she did what was right….right found her. (going back to my momism) Her needs were going to be met and when she went back home from the fields she and Naomi celebrated God’s never-ending love and kindness. They recognized that it was the Lord’s work and it is up to each of us to do the same in our given situations.

The last thing I want to leave with you today. There are several scriptures that talk about doing what is right and what is good and God will bless us for doing so but what so many of us fail to remember (I know I am one of them) is that blessings are not instantaneous. God’s divine connections and God’s Divine providence happens in His time, not ours. But with that said, God does not force His will upon us. We all have choices on our journey just as Ruth has choices. The more you learn about Ruth you realize that she seemed pretty good at following the path that God laid for her. Take a moment and think about your journey, your path as God has a plan for each of us. Romans 12:2 states: 2 Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Or as my mom would say, do right and right will follow you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they