Skip to main content

Christmas Party

Isaiah 9:2-7, Luke 2:1-15 
It looks like we are ready for the party! The tree is up with Chrismons (monograms of Christ). We have a few new ornaments on there this year. One of them is a picture of the church. I think that passes as a “monogram of Christ,” don’t you? At least I hope we are a symbol of God’s redemptive love that points to Jesus. We aren’t perfect, but we’re working on it. 

Let’s see, what else do we have? Our manger scene is all set now; of course, the Magi are still on their way – you may have seen them hanging out in the narthex – because wise people seek him still, right? Also, it’s not Epiphany yet, so they’ll get here in a few weeks. We have our poinsettias in place. The food is ready…we’ll get to that in a bit. 

Now, that reminds me – what are we celebrating? I realize that seems a little silly to ask, but I think we sometimes forget that there is more to the story than the manger scene and the birthday party that we have turned the celebration of the Christ event into. The birth is certainly important because it is the way by which we know that God entered in humility. 

Of course, this is not what was expected or anticipated, as we see in the proclamation of Isaiah when he told those in bondage and captivity, “The people who have walked in darkness (hint, that’s you), on them light has shined,” and it is not the headlight of an oncoming train! 

Those who were in exile from their homes and separated from their communities needed to hear this message of hope, and so do we. Certainly, we do not face the darkness of those in captivity, but there is darkness all around. I doubt if I asked you, that we would disagree that there is darkness in the world. 
What I do not doubt is that we would find disagreement if I asked each of you to say how and where there is darkness in the world. 

In fact, I would even argue, as some have, that the real issue is our division in the face of suffering and its causes and solutions. How, then, do we find unity in the face of the suffering of God’s beloved creatures and God’s beloved creation? I can answer that in one word. Celebration! Not just any celebration, but this celebration – the one we have come to tonight! In this ancient story, we find God’s self-revelation in the innocence and wonder of a child and the invitation to come and see what God has done and is doing in and through us as God’s people. 

 Now, I think it is important to ask modern questions about the story of Christ’s birth. It’s important to employ archaeology, textual criticism, and historical context when looking deeply and critically into God’s Holy Word. These are tools God has given us, just as God gave astrology to the Magi, to help us understand more about the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of all that it was, and shall be! 

We can have those discussions anytime you want, but tonight is a celebration of the answer to a deeper question. That question is one of an invitation. Are we willing to come and see what God has done through the child of Bethlehem? More than that, are we willing to let that vision change the way we see the world around us? 

Those in exile longed for a conqueror to set things right through violence. They wanted to replace the oppressor's boots with their own, not realizing that God had bigger plans than that. God had bigger plans than nation-states and empires, and it started as small as possible when God was revealed through vulnerability and wonder. 

The good news about Christmas is that we are invited to join the party! We are invited by angels and powers of privilege and poverty standing shoulder to shoulder trying to get a glimpse of what God has done – and might yet do – through the Christ child event! 

The shepherds said, “Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us.” And what has been made known to us? 

Sin does not define us. We are forgiven sinners, for sure, but whatever you have done and whatever has been done to you is nothing compared to what has been done for you through Jesus Christ! The division is not our destiny. These are things we know and the reason that we celebrate tonight – here at this table! 

At this table, we celebrate what God completed through personhood, teaching, healing – and yes – the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ! So, let the party continue! Let us sing and celebrate the love and grace and mercy that invites us, involves us, unites us, and shines light in every darkened space – even in you, even in me – and to God be the glory, now and always. Amen and Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they