Skip to main content

The End?


As we begin to reflect on God’s word, as we have received it from the prophet Isaiah and the Gospel of Mark, I am reminded of the old adage of beginning with the end in mind. At the same time, I want to challenge the notion that Jesus is exclusively – or even explicitly – talking about what many call the eschaton: the end of days.

For starters, we should talk about the context of these passages that the Revised Common Lectionary has given us today. Isaiah 64 is part of a block of chapters that most scholars believe were written around the time that Jewish people, who were scattered through Mesopotamian conquests, were returning to Jerusalem and the surrounding area. It’s important to note that this was very different than the modern state of Israel, which really did not exist before 1947.

The biggest difference is that our reading from Isaiah was not intended to be about ancestral lands or nation-states. It was a celebration their of identity as God’s people. It was an expression of the expectation that God would be faithful even if they had not been. It was an expression of something that I’m sure we’ve all felt or thought before, “God, if you wouldn’t mind, there are some things that have gotten a little out of hand down here and we’d love it if you could just come on down and fix it!”

I’m sure I don’t need to list the problems of the day to say how that relates to our lives. We’ve got several 24-hour news cycles if we want to find things to be afraid of or frustrated about; which makes me wonder why we need to hear so much drama from Jesus. What happened to our “Buddy Jesus” that we know and love.

Where is the guy who welcomed children and praised the widow for her offering? Same guy. Where’s the guy who challenged the Pharisees and the Sadducees for devotion devoid of compassion? Same guy. Why, then, is he proclaiming destruction? I did not think that Jesus was in the business of fear-mongering.

These are all good questions, but they are all based on the assumption that these passages exist by themselves to prove something that is quite the opposite of their intent. The intent of these passages, in their original context and in our seasonal celebration, is to inspire hope.

Admittedly there is much in Jesus’s proclamation that scholars have never agreed on, but one thing that we see from reading chapters 12 and 13 together is that Jesus is specifically talking about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem and all that comes next. We don’t know how much of this is metaphorical and how much is historical and how much is literal.

We are simply told that Jesus will return. We won’t know when – but the signs will be obvious – and we need to be on the lookout! Now. Where do we look?

A friend of mine once asked me about this, because these passages were written from a worldview that had an entirely different understanding of geography and cosmology than you or I. Not only that, but she wanted to know if maybe – just maybe – the return of Christ had already happened, or could happen, in my heart and in yours.

I have to say that I think she was onto something. In fact, I might even say that her interpretation changes the idea of eschatology altogether. I’m not saying that God can’t do things one way or another, or that Jesus misspoke. I’m saying that placing our hope in a God who has come down to dwell with us changes the way we view the world.

It means that we look to the other, the one we would rather alienate, and we see the presence of God. I have to say that I believe that this congregation gets the idea that each person is beloved in the eyes of God, and Christ is present in our care for one another.

It has already been a great joy to experience the Loaves and Fish meal and your celebration of creativity through the arts in this historic space. Your hospitality for me has truly been overwhelming, and I can’t wait to see the ways that we live into the God-sized dream that this congregation was given through Project Thrive.

I know that you guys have probably heard and said these words more than you care to, given how long you have worked on them, but I want to share them again as a reminder of where we are and what we are pushing toward.

“DPC delights in the inherent dignity of all beings! We see the needs of our neighbors, the wider world, and the church as bound up together. In the heart of Downtown Nashville, we provide a safe harbor through our strategic location and cooperative community partnerships toward the common good. We rise to the call for the deep solidarity and social justice that permeates our faith and builds God’s kin-dom with extravagant welcome.”

Here’s the good news in all of that in light of our scripture today. God is faithful and active and present in all things, and this dream – just like the kin-dom of God – is both real and yet to be. We just have to look for it. We have to do the work of preparing our hearts and remaining open to God’s presence in unexpected people and places, but we aren’t concerned about a destructive calamity.

We are concerned about our end, but not about our destruction. We are concerned about our purpose; our reason for being. Our confessions tell us that our “chief end” is to glorify God and enjoy God’s presence.

Here in this place, I find God’s presence undeniable. Here at this table, we will celebrate all that God has done and will do.

The thing is, there are little apocalypses – small revelations of truth – that happen all around us, or at least could if we stay awake. Things are happening right now that our forbearers would think of as entirely dystopian – things like racial equality, women’s rights, and the acceptance of the LGBTQ community – that are proving to be ways to experience God’s presence here and now.

That is why these passages confront us. They are here to ask us what kind of revelation we are hoping for. And they are here to remind us that we are to expect God to show up this Christmas, even here and even now.

So, our waiting is not a passive thing. It should gather momentum and force like the kettle described by Isaiah. In our waiting, we should know that the heavens were torn for God’s spirit to descend on Jesus, and so that same Spirit is loose in the world in wheelchairs and coffee shops, in kindness to strangers and forgiveness of even our own shortcomings. Yes, let’s get ready, but not just for Christmas. Let’s get ready for the end.

For if we begin with the end in mind, we can’t help but give glory to God here and now in every chance encounter and every beloved soul that reflects God’s face to us. At least I pray it may be so with me and that it may be so with you, and to God be the glory, now and always. Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-mission-ing

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." – John 21:15-17 [Sermon preached at FPC in Abbeville, Louisiana  on the occasion of the commissioning of Leigh Petersen–Rachal as their Pastor.] In preparing for this sermon I did what I have done in other times of need. I called Leigh. Truth be told, I was calling in response to her expression of care for my needs with my upcoming move, and it dawned on me that I was at

Kanye West

So, did anyone out there see Kanye West rip on the President on live TV? What do you think? Is it a racial issue that help has been slow? Was Kanye anywhere near reality? Before you answer, be sure to look at this link too: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php

What Makes A House A Home?

2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 • Luke 1:46b-55 If you are struggling with the idea of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, especially during Advent, I’ve got a new one for you. What about Merry Almost Christmas? That is the title and the chorus of a song written by a friend of mine. It’s a song about the blessing of the time before Christmas, the time that we in the church call Advent (which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it), and it’s a song about celebrations, reunions, and homecomings. Of course, the classic of that genre is “No Place Like Home for the Holidays.” Admittedly that one has been a little tender for me this year with my household divided as it is geographically. Having my family here today reminds me that home truly is where the heart is. It does make me wonder though, what makes a house a home? With a quick search of the question, I found a survey of homeowners in the UK from 2018 which showed that about a third of those that responded think of the place they