Skip to main content

Freedom

"For freedom, Christ has set us free." What the heck does that mean? For such a truth filled book, the Bible can sometimes read like Dr. Sues. Consider this one from Romans 7:15.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
It doesn't make sense to us. We are people who make their own decisions and live freely. We are are Americans. We are citizens of The World Super Power. We do not do the things we hate. We do the things we choose to do. Right?

Except...except when we don't. I don't mean that we are walking around like zombies doing things we don't want to do without knowing it. What I do mean to say is that we often get caught up in things we do not mean to. Who has not been to a web site that they were not supposed to? Who has not been in an argument with parents over cleaning their room or doing something they want instead of something they have been asked to do?

That's life. Life is full of choices. We make our choices and we deal with the outcomes for good or for bad. Then we make more choices. But here's the kicker. How much control do we really have? God has given us many gifts and made us only "a little less than angels" with dominion over the earth. The problem is that we tend to see the world from our own individual perspective, and instead of thinking about ruling the world as a thing God trusts all of us to do together we become like a million kings and queens fighting over territory. Even if the only territory we can rule is through our iphones and wiiis.

To understand Christian freedom we have to look at what follows both of the passages above. In Romans 7:20 Paul says, "Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." Sin is like the virus in Resident Evil. It kills people and then re-animates their flesh. It makes them into zombies. That's what we are like when we think our decisions only effect ourselves.

In Galatians 5:1 Paul says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." That is what it means to be free! We are set free from our own desires. We are set free from worrying about what others think when we take time to help someone who doesn't even seem to help themselves. We are set free from needing the coolest phone or the newest game system. There is nothing wrong with wanting these things, by the way. The problem is not the wanting but the way we let our wants influence our decisions.

Because of Jesus, we can be free to see past our own wants and into the needs of others. Not only that, but our biggest want becomes the needs of others! It's like this, if sin is the virus that keeps us stuck in behaviors that limit us, then faith in Christ is the anti virus that sets us free to choose another way. So do what you do today because God loves you, and because you want to share with others. If you can let that be the thing that motivates all of your decisions, you will truly be free!

Take care, have fun, and be the person your best friend thinks you are.

Rev Zach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emails from Baton Rouge

Clint Mitchel, mentioned in the previous article, is an Associate Pastor in Baton Rouge. They have set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and are involved in providing assistance reuniting displaced families. I'll post an email here from a list serve that several of my friends from seminary are on. I'll post a few more as comments. Feel free to add your own comments about how your congregation or group is responding. Presently the congregation I serve is taking up a special offering. Some members are also taking in students who have been relocated to VA. Here's what Clint needs/is doing: Martha, Our church has set up a shelter for expectant and new mothers and infants. We are working with people from all over on supplies. Right now, monetary donations are most helpful, partially because the needs are changing from day to day. Our church has set up a fund for Hurricane Relief efforts. To send a donation, please make a check out to University Presbyterian Ch...

Swim Lessons

So, here I sit, poolside @ the Y. My daughter's class is lined up on the side with feet in the pool. Each in turn are going to one end to swim the length of a lane. Their teacher is in the water with them. A lifeguard with a clipboard has silently joined to evaluate, and another is on the stand and ready to save. The class cheers one another on, or at least they did for the first three. Miraculously they began again when the weakest swimmer began.  My heart feels the pang of guilt when another parent cheers with me for my child (I was blogging during his). I can't help but reflect on how this is like the church.  Three lifeguards may seem like overkill, but is that not what we have received through Christ?  I like he idea that God is in it with us, evaluating our progress, and ready to save. We always need a God who is ready to save. Why else would confession be part of our regular spiritual walk? Then there's the church, called together and given purpose by God. W...

Preamble for Old Blog

This was imported along with posts from a previous blog titled "When Did I See You?" The title expresses a fundamental view of mine. The proclamation that we serve God through serving others trumps doctrine and dogma. It reminds me that I don't serve others because it wins me points, but rather because they in their weakness and poverty have more blessing to offer me than I in my abundance have for them. So, social justice trumps political correctness and affiliation. Common bonds of human experience trump allegiances of all other kind. And in this space I hope to build some conversation about how these ideas translate into a "new" way of being in the world that has actually been around for about two thousand years or more. Obviously by the slant of the above argument I am of the class of the "haves" rather than one of the "have nots." Even though I'm not wealthy by US standards, I am filthy rich by global standards. There are cer...